Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner's runs in NW Lakes

Beginner's runs in NW Lakes

Hi...
    Am very new to Fellrunning and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about starting to run in the Fells around Cockermouth/Keswick area. I live not too far from Loweswater and want to get out on some short runs to get me started. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Beginner's runs in NW Lake

Wow! Living near Loweswater... surely it's all good?

My tip would be to buy an OS 1:25000 map of the area and start joining up a few paths...

you could also try contacting the Cumberland Fell Runners:

http://www.c-f-r.org.uk
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Thanks! All a bit snowy at the moment, so might have to wait a bit.

CFR website looks useful...thanks again.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Living near Loweswater? I would be like the proverbial kid in a sweet shop! (And there would probably be nothing left of my knees in next to no time!!)

NW Fells are great to get you going - long ridges and generally not too rugged in nature compared perhaps to the central/southern/western fells. Causey Pike area is good - optionally on over Scar crags, sail, eel crags and then may be back over outerside, barrow etc. Another favourite short run is up Ullock pike, longside and carlside down via Dodd wood. (You can add in Skiddaw too if you're feeling fit.)
    Perhaps the Anniversary Waltz or part of?
    You're spoilt for choice!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    NW Fells are great to get you going - long ridges and generally not too rugged in nature compared perhaps to the central/southern/western fells. Causey Pike area is good - optionally on over Scar crags, sail, eel crags and then may be back over outerside, barrow etc. Another favourite short run is up Ullock pike, longside and carlside down via Dodd wood. (You can add in Skiddaw too if you're feeling fit.)
    Perhaps the Anniversary Waltz or part of?
    You're spoilt for choice!
    this is all pretty much the ground I intend to cover over the next few days, snow permitting

rachel: I am in Keswick over new year and intend to go for a couple of trots, just give me a shout if you want to join me
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 30-12-2009 at 02:04 PM.

First ever run i did in the fells was from Keswick.

I ran along the lake to the ashness bridge jettie. Crossed the road and climbed up to Ashness Bridge.
    As you reach the bridge, take a left and follow the water for a while and cross abit of a footbridge and follow the well worn path for a few miles.
    The views from here are AMAZING!, especially as you arent that high really.
    Follow it to eventually reach the top of Walla Crag, then follow the path off the other side, there is a brilliant grassy decent descent shortly after and then you run through a woods and eventually come back into keswick.

Maybe 6 miles?

Wow - thanks! That's all really helpful. And thanks for the offer of company - if I get the chance over the next few days, I'll drop you a line. I'm really looking forward to getting out...

Quote Originally Posted by rachel View Post
    Hi...
    Am very new to Fellrunning and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about starting to run in the Fells around Cockermouth/Keswick area. I live not too far from Loweswater and want to get out on some short runs to get me started. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    Not too far from me then

Blake fell from Felldyke or the parking by the gate leading to the forest road to the SW of Knock Murton is a regular run I do thats ok in any weather. A lot of it is on sheltered forest tracks with only a short run to the top thats exposed.

Low Fell from Thackthwaite is a lovely out and back and a great descent.

From Wythop Mill you've got Sale Fell and Ling Fell either up and downs or use the footpaths that traverse around them to make longer runs.

All the above runs are on grassy low lying hills and would be ok for starting out.

Lanthwaite Green is a favourite starting point of mine as well but the ground is a bit rougher and the tops higher.
    A good first run here is to follow the N side of Lisa Beck to Coledale Hause then go up Sand Hill, if the weather is ok you could return via Hopegill Head and Whiteside just take care on the descent as it very rough in places (rock steps)

You'll see there's lots of variations here with Grasmoor and Crag Hill but I'd keep away from the direct ascent of Grasmoor from the Green in winter as I've needed to use an ice axe on it before and I wouldn't run down it in summer either good as an ascent though.

Have fun.
    Bill

Don't know your background Rachel, so I don't mean to tell you what you may already know , but these links might be useful, if only as a checklist -
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/pdf/com...quirements.pdf
    (Section 9)
    http://mountain.rescue.org.uk/mountain-advice

Above all else have fun.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over