Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner in Sheffield

Beginner in Sheffield

I enjoy running cross country and walking up mountains and would like to put these 2 together and get into fell running.

Can anyone recommend upcoming races near Sheffield that would be suitable for beginners? I am not new to mountains or racing, but am new to racing on mountains.

Anyone recommend any good routes to start training on, up to about 6 miles? Ones that started at the Fox House or Hathersage would be good, that way I could use public transport.

Thanks

Re: Beginner in Sheffield

Hathersage, up to higger tor and then back via owler tor, surprise view carpark and oxhay wood is a nice loop.

From the fox house, I'd go along above burbage edge to upper burbage bridge, up to the trig point on stanage, drop down across higger tor and carl wark and back to the fox house for a pint.

If you want someone to run with, send me a message. Going out from near fox house tomorrow morning if you're interested - probably going along froggatt, curbar and baslow edges and then back via white edge.

Yes, I agree with paul, lovely route but not too demanding. It is a little technical underfoot at times on sheep trods and rock so if you dont feel confident on your ankles then stick to the trail below the edge for a bit and watch the descents

Race wise would certainly recommend the Totley AC series - http://www.totleyac.org.uk/
    Don't think the 2010 dates are on their website yet but the first three (Tigger Tor, Tigers Todger and Totley Moor) all on the FRA calender.
    Others close to Sheffield and public transport would include Burbage Skyline, Hathersage Gala, Stanage Struggle, Bamford Carnival, Wolf's Pit for starters.
    Stanage Struggle route would make another good 6 mile training run from hathersage -http://www.fbrc.co.uk/Struggle%20map.htm

Keep an eye out for 'The Trunce', starting again in March

Quote Originally Posted by ajb View Post
    Others close to Sheffield and public transport would include Burbage Skyline, Hathersage Gala, Stanage Struggle, Bamford Carnival, Wolf's Pit for starters.
    Starting to look for some 'beginner/introduction' races this year.
    Last year was basically a couple of Trunces and the Stanage Struggle. So no navigation needed.

The suggestions above have led me to have a quick tour of the net, through them and the gritstone series.

How're the above in comparison, re navigation etc? I note the Wolfs pit website does state full kit req'd

Quote Originally Posted by No vice View Post

How're the above in comparison, re navigation etc? I note the Wolfs pit website does state full kit req'd
    I haven't done wolf's pit so can't comment but none of the others are navigationally challenging. The shorter races such as Hathersage Gala etc., are usually marshalled and all would make good beginner/intro races.

My favourite short race is Grindleford (not the Grindleford Gallop) in June, again not navigationally challenging and ideal for beginners.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Wolf's pit wasn't especially navigationally challenging - although I'm one of those who generally follows the people in front!

Quote Originally Posted by RachFR View Post
    Wolf's pit wasn't especially navigationally challenging - although I'm one of those who generally follows the people in front!
    Would you be Rhys's sister by any chance.

Indeed I am, though I don't often admit to it Fox House is great for running from, tis really easy to loop back to to make runs shorter/longer - though the knee deep snow up there today made it pretty tough going!