Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennine Way

Pennine Way

I've got a two week pass in August so I'm thinking of doing the PW and wonder if anyone has any experience or advice they could pass on. I want to camp so I'm looking at some kit upgrades e.g.the terra nova saturn bivi (looks a top piece of kit) OR terra nova laser comp (could use it for MMs as well...), can't decide wether to go n-s or s- n ( I live in the Peak so 'coming home' would be a good way to do it, but I know there are other considerations. Any opinions, advice, warnings would be welcomed!

Thanks

John
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Re: Pennine Way

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I've got a two week pass in August so I'm thinking of doing the PW and wonder if anyone has any experience or advice they could pass on. I want to camp so I'm looking at some kit upgrades e.g.the terra nova saturn bivi (looks a top piece of kit) OR terra nova laser comp (could use it for MMs as well...), can't decide wether to go n-s or s- n ( I live in the Peak so 'coming home' would be a good way to do it, but I know there are other considerations. Any opinions, advice, warnings would be welcomed!

Thanks

John
    I think it's changed alot since i did it it 24 years ago. I did it in 11 days backpacking when I was a poor 6th form student. My plan then was set off early(6-7am) and don't feel rushed. I stopped for lunch and cooked my dinner after 5 hours walking, put feet in a stream etc and chilled for an hour of two then walked for another 5-6 hours and pitched the tent where ever i was(not sure if you'll get away with that now) Ended up walking from Alston to the end by myself eating only mamalade sandwiches has I'd ran out of money. Had to hitch home when I'd finished.

Go as light as possible. i.e pack your bag, empty it, and discard at least 30% of what you had in it. Don't look more than a couple of days a head, it gets depressing knowing you still have to go 200 miles!

I found the hardest section to be the peak district which should be easier for you being local.

Theres a good bivvy hut a third of the way across the cheviots(if it's still there)

Great experince though, Met a guy on route that had set off from Lands end on his way to John o Groats.

Good luck and Enjoy

Oops forgot to mention, go S-N for two reasons The sun won't be in your face all the time(hopefully) and most people walk S-N and you get to see the same faces whilst walking and on a night giving a sense of fellowship...

Bivvi hutS still on Cheviots. Great B&B used to be at Marsden Packhorse fm i think .My personal favourite part is from Middleton in Teesdale to Dufton , when u top out at High Cup , it's just stunning. Route finding is easy and loads of stops en route.
    See what u think of Ickornshaw Moor, I thought it was a spooky place.
    Have fun , it's a great walk.
    Oh yeah and no need to do the BIG last day , stay at Uswayford farm just off route, crackin farmhouse b&b.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    My personal favourite part is from Middleton in Teesdale to Dufton , when u top out at High Cup , it's just stunning.
    That was the highlight for me too. I'm now feeling rather old as I've just counted the years (36 this July) since I did the PW as a 14 day walk. Have fun. Wainwright may not have enjoyed it much but I certainly did.

Thats great: Ian I was wondering how far it would be psooible to do it just camping more or less wherever I'd be ending up at the end of the day - that's how I'd like to do it and why I'm thinking of investing in the the bivy bag. I'm started to get excited now! Cheers
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Great Grouse , nothing like that per walk excitement mate , you'll bloody love it , have a great time and may the sun be always on yer back.

Have a word with Robin Price - He did the double PW in 10 days 5h 55m
    SN completely unsupported and then NS only with road support! (The mind boggles)
    This was in 1990 for which he won the Bob Graham Achievement of the Year award. He'd be only too pleased to give you advice. PM me if you want his phone number or email address

Thats great: Ian I was wondering how far it would be psooible to do it just camping more or less wherever I'd be ending up at the end of the day - that's how I'd like to do it and why I'm thinking of investing in the the bivy bag. I'm started to get excited now! Cheers
    I'm sure if you thought 'out of sight out of mind' you would be able to do it. Just make sure you can stay clear of more habited sections for your night stops.

If you want to keep the weight down go with a proper bivy bag, no poles etc, if you want comfort get the laser

I looked at the Saturn a few years ago, its too heavy and cramped for the money may as well get something like the Rab suvival zone (310g)

Any more than a couple of nights and I prefer a tent but if you want to keep the weight down the bivvy bag is the way to go and it opens the way for lots more fun in the hills

Bill