Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennine Way

Re: Pennine Way

Nice one Grouse. Loads of ppl talk down The Pennine way but i loved it too. I want to bivvi the lot one day, just minumum kit, maybe a tarp. Why? cos it's there!!! lol

Thanks Alf. Travelling light was good but it wouldn't have been so much fun if the weather had been any worse. Def take at least two weeks next time, and go n-s too I reckon.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Pennine Way

OK, so maybe I'm slightly insane but...

...even though I've only run a few miles since the Fellsman (due to injury) I've now (suddenly) got a week free to myself - starting next weekend.

I can possibly start on Thursday but not sure yet (need to check with the wife).

So I've got 7 (poss. 9) days for this. (Walked it in '85 -3 wks)

Not planned it yet but looking at ~30-40 miles/day.

Suggestions/ advice/ offers to come & kick me up the backside when I'm flagging - all welcome!

Suggest nine days rather than seven; schedule as follows:

Edale - Mankinnholes
    Mankinnholes - Earby
    Earby - Horton
    Horton - Keld
    Keld - Langdon Beck
    Langdon Beck - Alston
    Alston - Once Brewed
    Once Brewed - Byrness
    Byrness - Kirk Yetholm

Hard work but doable.

Did it last year after lots of advice from the forum. I did it in 11 days , including a rest day. I think you could do it in a week, but I think it would be a real challenge if you were thinking of camping all the way. I camped for the whole trip, and it was fine except that my feet were in bits after a a couple of days because I wore trail shoes as I was half thinking of running the route, or at least a fair whack of it, and it lashed it down for the first couple of days and this really messed my feet up. I travelled really light, so that if the bad weather had continued, I'm not sure I would have made it. It is a fantastic trip, and I would just say the same that everyone said to me last year. Just do it! There is a thread somewhere with all the replies and advice iIgot. Good luck.

The other thing I would say that on a tight schedule, you really do miss a lot - one day I wil do it again and take two weeks - so if you could stretch to nine or ten days you woill enjoy it more. Over 11 days I still found I had to put realy long days in to stick to the schedule: walk, eat, sleep, walk, eat, sleep...

Cheers for the replies. I'm thinking of using hostels so I don't have to lug a tent around with me. I would have only had 7 days if I did it this week. Planned the schedule for that & it looked horrendous. Instead I'm going to arrange for a couple of weeks later in the summer. My children have just got chicken pox so I'll be staying at home looking after them.

Full Pennine Way

Just asking around if anyone has ran the whole of the pennine way? Im contemplating doing it in end sept/ early oct this year. What time of year did you do it and how long did it take? Id be pleased if I could do it in around 7 days.

Re: Full Pennine Way

7 days would be a great achievement. 268 miles of challenging terrain in that time would be a respect winner. How are you going to prepare?

Re: Full Pennine Way

My dad did a few years in may and did it in 6 days, he nearly broke 6days was gutted that he was only a few hours from doing it sub six days. On each day he was averaging 30mile a day so fairly good going, he also ways tells me people say its easy to follow but says do not be fooled as once on higher ground Edale and the Cheviots when the clags down its all map and compass, he does say that the cheviots and Edale are the hardest bits.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.