Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Pennine Way

Re: Pennine Way

Thanks for the good wishes everyone, sadly it didn't quite go to plan but I had a good time. I reckon doing it solo makes it difficult! I didn't talk to anyone until last night so spent a long time talking to myself, and only having two pairs of socks in wet conditions was perhaps not the best plan. Much more sensible with a bit of support!

I'll write a full thing up with pictures on the blog sometime, but for now:

Day 1: Kirk Yetholm to Greenhead (~63 miles)
    - 5am start, 10:30 finish, weather pretty good but very wet underfoot, follow border for a while then south into Northumberland. Lots more midges in Scotland! Disaster finding place to stay (first campsite non-existent, second campsite closed, youth hostel full), ended up in bunkbarn at half 11.

Day 2: Greenhead to Low Force (~57 miles)
    - 4:30 start, 11pm finish. Feet a mess, still very wet underfoot (a few bog monster incidents), strong climb up Cross Fell but downhills starting to hurt. Nice run through Teesdale, Cow Green area in the evening. Wet and cold overnight. Shin starting to hurt by evening.

Day 3: Low Force to Horton (~60 miles)
    - 3am start, 10:30 finish. Wet all day, 3 mins emergency sleep under A66 underpass, into the Dales, very tempting to warm up by fire at Tan Hill after crisps and chocolate! Good climb up Gt. Shunner, slow descent. Long boring tracks last 8 miles. Shin painful and feet a right mess by the end.

Day 4: Horton to... Horton
    - 90 miles to go, planning 50 mile (Colden) and 40 mile days. Set off this morning 6am, up Pen-y-Ghent. Wet. Took far too long for 3 miles, can climb fairly well but any descent now really painful, need to have right food sideways! Don't have time to finish at this speed so decided to call it a day... Back to Horton

Having been on the route I definately agree that Mike Hartley's record (2 days 17 is it?) is incredible!

good effort that man, some long days there for sure!! incidentally what footwear did you run in?

Cheers. NB trail shoe thingys... 876s I think. Pretty good for the mixture of road and fell I think. Wish I had used socks without seams along the tops of my toes though!

Ah good work Shelf, admire your effort, and long days! Sorry to hear the weather was so unkind :thunbdown:

Big admiration for you Shelf. I have had ideas of doing it in 4-5 days for a long time - daft ideas. Having read your report it makes me realise it is a long long way and probably too long for me.

Hope you foot are back to normal soon.

Cheers guys. A fuller write-up here if you want to read more!

http://bigalpsrun.blogspot.com/2011/...epic-fail.html

Ooh great I will put the kettle on for another cuppa while I read this
    The washing can wait!

Great effort and an interesting read. Good luck with the rest of your training.

Good write up Shelf and plenty of useful info.

The thing about going solo is you know that the company is going to be good but after three days it must de difficult as you can't get away from your companion.

The feet look painful hope they are healing well.

Hope your shin is getting better Shelf, thanks for the write up - a good read Hope all goes well with the rest of your training and the Alps challenge :thumbup: