Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennine Way

Re: Pennine Way

Thanks for that. I haven't used bivvy bags before - I thought the saturn might offer a bit of room for cooking, and I don't like the idea of having the bag draped over legs and feet, but weight is a big consideration, and it's not cheap. I thought it looke dpretty durable thoughand reckon it might laast longer than the tent. I'm going to have a look at the weight and have a look at the weight. Cheers.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Master and MR

i would love to do this i would
    ive read up on it quite a bit and i too would like to do it bivvy style
    although not sure why but i think i would like to do it n/s

a good read on it is P/W by edward de la billiere and keith carter
    seems it says pitching up at the end of the day is def not allowed.

I'll have a look for that Daz. I wasn't pissed when I wrote that last post by the way, just a bit knackered.

That rab bivvy looks a better bet weight and price wise. And would leave me with more moolah to invest in a a down sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    That rab bivvy looks a better bet weight and price wise. And would leave me with more moolah to invest in a a down sleeping bag.
    To keep the weight down a one season synthetic would be better, use spare clothes for extra warmth, also after a bivvy the outside of your sleeping bag will get damp (would dry in minutes in the sun or a breeze)

Also there will be a time when its chucking it down and you'll have no choice but to get in the bag in full waterproofs, wouldn't like to try that with a down bag!

I must admit for something over two weeks I'd go for a tent cause I couldn't rough it for that long in a bivvy but some runners have done long distance paths in Scotland in winter using a fertilser bag and no sleeping bag or stove so I'm just soft.

Bill

That's true - maybe it's one reason to go for a hooped bivvy - wouldn't that ease condensation problems a bit? I've been looking at the Terra Nova jupiter as a weight and money saver on the Saturn. Wonder ewhat other options there are?

That's true - maybe it's one reason to go for a hooped bivvy - wouldn't that ease condensation problems a bit? I've been looking at the Terra Nova jupiter as a weight and money saver on the Saturn. Wonder ewhat other options there are?
    Farmers Barns & Underneath Hedges + a good thickness of newsprint... used to be some of the other options! Both of which were used by my old man & his mate when they took the long walk north...
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

I had a single skin gortex tent in the late 80s, used it a lot wild camping and going off most weekends all year round roadside camping. It was a wintergear eyrie I think it was called?

In some conditions the gortex would not work so any condensation had only one place to go, pools would form on the ground sheet.
    One memorable weekend in langstrath wifes sleeping bag (down) got soaked on the first night but for reasons now lost to the mists of time we stayed another night (torrential rain high winds all weekend) I gave her my synthetic bag and she slept like a log, I had the down bag which by this time was soaked (took about a week to dry out when we got home and never seemed the same bag afterwards) I can still remenber how much I shivered and the feeling of cold water seeping in everytime I moved in the bag.
    Another "feature" of single skin tents is when its below freezing the condesation freezes on hitting the tent wall then falls back down on to you so you have a lovley snow shower in your tent

Of course others may have had better luck with gortex tents.

Bill

Hmm... this is all very interesting, but a lot to think about! Swings and roundabouts... maybe a down sleeping bag with a tent rather than a bivy bag. Thanks for all the ideas - it is helping me get the trip together in me 'ead!

Hi Grouse,

I'm setting off on the PW in two weeks. Not roughing it as much as you though by the sounds of it, staying in youth hostels and unfortunately breaking it into three legs in order to make it easier to get leave.

I'm starting at Edale, I've spoken to two people who have done it North to South and said they regretted it.

I'll let you know any tips from my relatively luxurious trip when I get back.

JLS
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider