Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennine Way

Re: Pennine Way

I think that's his problem: he wants to have his cake and eat it too: travel light without roughing it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    I think that's his problem: he wants to have his cake and eat it too: travel light without roughing it too much.
    You can either suffer during the day but have a luxurious night camping or have an easy days walking and do all your suffering at night

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    I'm going for both light travel and not too much roughing it... plan to enjoy it rather than turn it into a battle of will... then again maybe I'm just soft
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

Hello

I've done the PW a couple of times. First as a backpacking trip in two halves at different times. S-N in 1980 Edale-Bowes, then N-S in 1988 KY-Bowes (Can't think what I was doing in between!). Then in 1993 I did it S-N in February on my tod using BnB in 21 days. This was a lovely, leisurely trip, with few people around except at weekends and beer, food and a warm bed in the evening. Mind you from Edale to Langdon Beck I walked mostly in anticyclonic gloom and hill fog above 1200ft. I had about 3 sunny days and it finally snowed on the long final leg between Byrness and KY.

Nowadays, if I had the time, I'd do it in two weeks, take a bivvy tent and mix this up with BnB to clean up. Compared to 1980 much of the boggy bits are easy to follow, with slabs or board down. Wild Camping (with permission of course) is possible and there are some lovely spots. There are plenty of campsites as well. The pubs are mostly good.

It will rain. You will get mucky. But despite what some people say this is still a magical journey. Enjoy it.
    I rely upon my luck!

I'll be doing it in 21 days too but broken up into three trips. Not doing it alone either, that must have been lonely and lovely at the same time
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

Quote Originally Posted by justlovestretching... View Post
    Hi Grouse,

I'm setting off on the PW in two weeks. Not roughing it as much as you though by the sounds of it, staying in youth hostels and unfortunately breaking it into three legs in order to make it easier to get leave.

I'm starting at Edale, I've spoken to two people who have done it North to South and said they regretted it.

I'll let you know any tips from my relatively luxurious trip when I get back.

JLS
    JLS

What day/time are you setting off and which route over Kinder, I hope you are taking the proper route over the top and not going round

Ian

Talking Re: Pennine Way

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Any opinions, advice, warnings would be welcomed!
    Don't forget yer dates, mate

Woof!
    But I would not be convicted by a jury of my peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Routemaster View Post
    Nowadays, if I had the time, I'd do it in two weeks, take a bivvy tent and mix this up with BnB to clean up.

I'm having a go at the PW setting of in two weeks time going N-S as I live near to Edale, with a 14 day schedule. Spent some time agonising over the direction but decided that heading home had the most appeal, particularly if (when) the going gets tough.

Opted for B&B's cos I'm a wimp and greedy; they seem to be fairly cheap and, with a regular PW clientelle, offer massive breakfast's

One of the other lads I'm going with did most of the phoning round, but I'm sure he said one of the B&B's did a FOUR course breakfast. I've asked him to get back to them and find out if I can have toast and jam afterwards

Thanks Mad Dog
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post

Opted for B&B's cos I'm a wimp and greedy; they seem to be fairly cheap and, with a regular PW clientelle, offer massive breakfast's

One of the other lads I'm going with did most of the phoning round, but I'm sure he said one of the B&B's did a FOUR course breakfast. I've asked him to get back to them and find out if I can have toast and jam afterwards
    The unfortunate closure of the Youth Hostels on the PW (Earby,Keld, Baldersdale, Bellingham) has made finding accommodation a little more difficult mainly in the Northern section. I am planning to do the PW myself in 13/14 days S to N possibly later this year staying in hostels and B & Bs; I have the excellent free accommodation guide available from www.nationaltrail.co.uk but would still welcome good accommodation recommendations mainly in the Keld, Bowes and Bellingham areas. Cheers Al and all the best for your trip.