Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennine Way

Re: Pennine Way

That's a good link, WV. I still haven't decided which direction to take, but I was erring towards s- n. I would be afraid of getting to Marsden or even Crowden and sacking it and going home! I'll see how Al gets on!
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I'm walking this with Al. We decided North to South....just because it seems more natural to walk towards home. Plus, we can meet with friends & family and have a few beers in the Nags Head when we, hopefully, finish.

We opted for Youth Hostels, B&B's and Pubs, because I didn't fancy walking all day...sometimes in the rain, and then pitching a tent. A shower, bed and a good nights sleep, for me, would make the following day more enjoyable.

We're taking the train up from Buxton on Friday afternoon. We arrive in Berwick on Tweed early evening, then Kirk Yetholm, for a few beers in the Border Hotel.

Agenda for the walk is as follows:

Saturday 5th May Kirk Yetholm to Uswayford Farm
    Sunday 6th May Uswayford Farm to Byrness
    Monday 7th May Byrness to Bellingham
    Tuesday 8th May Bellingham to Twice Brewed
    Wednesday 9th May Twice Brewed to Alston
    Thursday 10th May Alston to Dufton
    Friday 11th May Dufton to Holwick
    Saturday 12th May Holwick to Tan Hill Inn
    Sunday 13th May Tan Hill Inn to Hawes
    Monday 14th May Hawes to Horton in Ribblesdale
    Tuesday 15th May Horton in Ribblesdale to Malham
    Wednesday 16th May Malham to Stanbury
    Thursday 17th May Stanbury to Littleborough
    Friday 18th May Littleborough to Crowden
    Saturday 19th May Crowden to Edale

Cheers, Mark.
    Last edited by Mark Fitz; 02-05-2007 at 10:24 PM.

By the way, we 'should' be in Edale at around 4pm on the Saturday.
    I think we'll be having a few beers at the Nags Head if anyone is local and wants to see 3 bearded aged walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fitz View Post
    By the way, we 'should' be in Edale at around 4pm on the Saturday.
    I think we'll be having a few beers at the Nags Head if anyone is local and wants to see 3 bearded aged walkers.
    All the best to you all on your trip. Surely this unnatural fine weather can't continue.........surely not!?

Hi John,
    I've recently joined the forum to try and find out who holds the record for the Coast to Coast (Wainright 'route') and I hope you'll forgive the intrusion on your thread but I thought it might be of interest you.
    Over the years I've moved from tent to bivvy to get the weight down with the aim of including running to up the mileage.
    Although I consider myself more of a trail runner than a fell runner (ie I'm not competitive) you might be interested to have a peek at some of my exploits here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~m.l.weller/

- all accounts include a kit list (although not yet up on site for the c2c, but it's very similar to the Peakland Way kit list) but you have to scroll through each account as kit lists are included at the end of each account.
    We should remember Geoff Bell's sub 5 day self-supported Pennine Way in 1981 - (4d - 20h - 40m) - who ran with a 20lb pack!
    I use an extending bum bag (rides well on hips for running), Rab summit 300 Down bag, Rab Survival Zone (not very roomy, and not as light as they say!) and try and max at 12lbs - kinder on the knees at my age! (but not kind enough on last yrs 5 day c2c attempt when most of kit was wet!)
    If you are sticking to walking then of course weight isn't as crucial but it's still wise to keep it down as much as poss.
    I've not tried the Pennine Way yet but Geoff has kindly sent me an account of his self supported sub 5 days and I'm feeling inspired to up the training a bit, even though at my age sub 10 days would be good!
    hope this is of interest,
    lwm

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    That's a good link, WV. I still haven't decided which direction to take, but I was erring towards s- n. I would be afraid of getting to Marsden or even Crowden and sacking it and going home! I'll see how Al gets on!
    Completed our N-S PW yesterday.

We met some great people, stayed in some excellent places and the scenery was simply breath-taking.

I heard a lot of huffing and puffing from people before we set off that the 'weather will be in your face' heading South. I can offer a fairly informed opinion, given the recent weather conditions, which included a welcome home hail-storm on Kinder (isn't it almost June ), and I think we did it the right way.

Heading home was much better than finishing in Scotland and, although I may be biased, I preferred the middle-latter sections to the early part. This meant that the journey kept improving as we got closer to the finish.
    Last edited by Al.; 20-05-2007 at 10:06 PM.

I'm glad your trip went well Al. I was pretty much set on S - N but now I'm not so sure - what you said makes sense and I can see how it would be good to be 'coming home' and would actually be easier for me with the arrangements I have to make ( packing the family off to the beach etc. ). All the replies and help have been really useful - thanks everyone. I'm getting really excited about this - it's bubbling away in the back of my head, but I've lots to think about before then with races and supporting BGs etc. I'm still not decided on wether to bivvy or camp, but I'll see later and in the meantime have a look at the stuff LWMick has posted up. Did the OCT yesterday and saw a bit of hail heading up to Scafell Pike - I was surprised when I got home to be told they'd had hail down here too - nice welcome back to the Peak for you!

Grouse, I can definately recommend it. It was a fantastic experience! I might do it again one day.

Not sure we had the weather for bivvying. Why does this appeal Grouse? I tried it for one night a few years ago and one night was long enough. If you're trying to keep the weight down why not try a Coleman Raid tent. I've just picked one up for my next Mountain Marathon. It's a comedy tent, particularly if you try to squeeze two in but it weighs 980g (ie. absolutely nowt) and it's available at the bargain price of £59 at Go Outdoors. If you tried to get in it on your own with a rucksack it would just about fit, but don't try sitting up.

On the accommodation front, we had a couple of interesting nights. Tan Hill Inn have sheep in the bar! Honest! Need I say more. And we stayed in a pub called the Stathmore Arms in Holwick on a Friday night. This was at the end of one of the best sections (High Cup Nick etc) and the evening's entertainment definitely matched. Good beer, fire and about 30 locals each with their own musical instrument singing their hearts out!?! Happy days.

Good luck with it. When are you off?

I had pretty much decided on a tent and will look at the raid, thanks Al. I'm off at the end of August.