Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennine Way

Re: Pennine Way

Good Luck! You should have a great time....and the weather is suppose to be getting better after Monday.

Let us know how you get on.

Any word on Grouses' progress?
    Been quite a bit of gunfire of the "glorious" kind in our neck of the woods, which is Pennine Way territory…… home he’s not been mistaken!!?
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Ouch. That is quite a long way isn't it?. Got a bit nervous on the moors just past Tan Hill when a line of beaters appeared out of the mist, marching to the sound of gunfire .
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Well done G'
    Expecting a full report if the feathers ain't too ruffled!!!?
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Yes, Well Done!! How was it? Enjoy it?

Well... now I've got the old rose tinted specs on ... it was great, the only downer being the state of me poor old plates of meat. The route was superb and I was surprised by the variety of scenery and the remoteness. Travelling light worked well, I kept to my schedule except for a rest at Middleton cos me feet were giving so much grief. Next time I would definitely travel a little bit less light and take more time - it's great moving fast but it didn't leave much time for sight seeing. I was lucky with the weather; I knew it was going to rain the first couple of days then clear it up - but it seemed to take its time: things were starting to get pretty damp and it would have been difficult with much more rain. Had a beautiful day to go over Cross Fell and for the rest day in Middleton though. I wore trail (running) shoes which I don't think I would do again, and I thought they were causing my feet all the grief, but having seen the state of some of the other people's feet I met, I don't seem to have done too bad. I have definitely got the taste for the long ditance walking and backpacking lark though and I'm going to invest in a good pair of light weight boots or even shoes - like Brashers or even those Merrell type trail shoes - anyone got any recommendations? Thanks for all the help and advice from everyone, and if anyone is thinking of doing it I would definitely recommend it, and I would also endorse the s-n option; wouldn't like to have been walking head on into the weather even though it wasn't too bad. I only camped wild one night - on Blackstone Edge because the campsite I had intended to stay at at Standedge had closed, but having seen the route and the possibilities I would certainly try to camp wild more often. As it was, the state my feet were in, I needed to give them a shower and lots of TLC each night, and even then they took a lot of cajoling to get going in the mornings!

John

Master and MR

well done mr grouse . nice

sounds fab

Well done, our kid.

Thanks Rudolph, Robert... Rumpelstiltskin... stil haven't twigged. Are you doing Lantern Pike? If so say hello. Errr... did you do the Plum Fair today???