Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Bog Experience!

Re: First Bog Experience!

Eeeee ecku thump I see I've plenty t'learn!
    Wants to see the Old Fella again SOON!

Whohoo.. no bog falling this week.. just a nice and spongy

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I hope you are coming to do the 'Grin and Bear it' later in the Year, the guy in third place whilst crossing to Outer Edge Trig went in up to his Armpits The Bogmonster up there is legendary.

Chest deep is the norm if you don't know which bit of peat to trust...
    Did this race a few years back and came face to face with The Bogmonster - chest deep. Luckily two blokes heard me shouting and pulled me out! Admit it felt like being in a "Lassie" movie for a moment or two.

Been watching that ex-SAS guy on the telly recently and picked up a good tip on how to get myself out in future. The only problem is it involves carrying a stick, which of course will be of no use whatsoever for the remaining 14.5 miles of the route, so it's not really viable.

LOL.. we were talking about exactly that on Weds nights club run.. how to run with a stick!!

I've been studying Bear whatshisnames programme too!

I'm with dazh on this one....

The "dark side" of Bleaklow is awful. As prep for Tanky's last year, a couple of us went up onto Bleaklow for the first time. Needless to say, in the low cloud we strayed off the PW, coming off too early and ending up on the northern side of the top plateau. We ended up among the peaks and troughs of peaty bog land. Tough going underfoot and the head-height mounds of stuff prevented us seeing where we were or which direction to take. We both exhibited as much navigational sense as chickens. Found ourselves waist deep in the mud on many occasions and found it hard work. My feet were black with dirt for days afterwards!

An "interesting" hour or so until we found the right route off and towards the Snake Pass.

The best route for Tanky's does stray off the Pennine Way as it crosses Bleaklow... you follow the PW until it drops down and crosses a major stream on your left. The Tanky's route goes straight on and I think ends up in the area you are talking about...

If I remember correctly, we went up that way, turning off the PW and straight towards Heron rocks. But before we got there we veered off to the left (god alone knows why!) and must have crossed the PW again (!) before ending up on the north side of Bleaklow. We kept seeing a wire fence and thought "that must be relevant to our navigation" for some reason. After what seemed like ages we came to the other side of Bleaklow and saw the rocks towards Mickleden way in the distance. We thought we were out of the woods but it was a nightmare to get to the cairn from there. Ya gotta love it!

Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    The best route for Tanky's does stray off the Pennine Way as it crosses Bleaklow... you follow the PW until it drops down and crosses a major stream on your left. The Tanky's route goes straight on and I think ends up in the area you are talking about...
    Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    If I remember correctly, we went up that way, turning off the PW and straight towards Heron rocks. Ya gotta love it!
    There's quicker route than that with no Nav problems!

Oh, do tell! Last year at Tanky's I followed one of the Glossopdale runners who knew where he was going (overtook him on this bit actually! ).

Not the infamous Dark Peak trod that loops out to the west?.... not convinced!