Thread: training for ultras

training for ultras

I was thinking about doing an ultra at the end of March, about 80m. I did it last year and completed but injured myself towards the end, I managed to finish but I would like to do it again and finish a bit more comfortably....

Any idea on the best type of training for it? Last time I just did some 6hr+ days in the hills and one 30m road run/plod(!)

Helen

Re: training for ultras

Quote Originally Posted by Helen0779 View Post
    I was thinking about doing an ultra at the end of March, about 80m. I did it last year and completed but injured myself towards the end, I managed to finish but I would like to do it again and finish a bit more comfortably....

Any idea on the best type of training for it? Last time I just did some 6hr+ days in the hills and one 30m road run/plod(!)

Helen
    Do some 6hr+ days in the hills and one 30m road run/plod. That should do the trick.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Some people recommend two biggish runs back to back rather than one big training run. So run say 18 miles on sat and then 12 on sunday rather than 30 miles on sat.
    That way you will be getting your body (and mind!) used to run with tired legs. I used this approach last year but not for 80 miles! Just a 42 mile "fun run"

Helen,

I would recommend trying build up to get a couple of weeks in where you aim to run 80 miles during the week. Do them about four weeks apart. If you're struggling to fit it in with time do a bit on the bike as well. Your legs get used to running when they are tired but you do get some recovery as well in between.

Look at your technique as well and try to run as "economically" as possible don't lift you legs too much and keep your weight forwards to increase momentum.