Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahtoola crampons/Microspikes?

Re: Kahtoola crampons/Microspi

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    They look like good value to me. The Kahtoolas are almost as much as buying a pair of orienteering shoes with built-in metal dobs. They are useful for other things as well as running I suppose but my Jalas Champion orienteering shoes cost £65, are well made, comfortable, fit like Walshes USED to and have all the grip you need on ice....
    Aye; when he's got the sense to put them on!! Bowland Bats had a great 1.5 hours up, down and around Nicky Nook, tonight, on some paths that would have been a fair venue for Olympic figure skating. There was Fell Hound in some new fangled tat called Inov 8's or summat, slithering around with the rest of us whilst his ( as yet unused ) Jalas steel studded 'O' shoes languished in the van!

Fellhound

Not true WD!! The Jalas's are not unused - they have been used on three occasions on snowy runs when they were not really needed... However, it IS true that due to a complete misjudgement of the conditions last night they were languishing in the van whilst I was skidding around on Inov-8 Mudrocs..
    D'ohhh!!

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    I've got some of the micro spike for Christmas and they've been great.

Not sure if it's the way I'm putting them on, but they don't seem to fit as well as they did? the chains on the heels seem loose! Might be just me, but for the past few runs they've been like this.
    Accelerate now have the Microspikes back in stock

anyone know what it's like on the tops in the Lakes at the moment - how much snow still there from NY?

Still lots of hard packed ( and very icey ) old snow on Ingleburger last night. The Bats went up from Hill Inn. The wind chill certainly matched the forecast -20*C.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    anyone know what it's like on the tops in the Lakes at the moment - how much snow still there from NY?
    It seems to change every 20 metres - from spring green grass to 1m deep drifts, some with hard crust, some like cold porridge. Where the paths have been well walked there's ice patches, often just forming a ribbon of white cutting across green fellside. There's no pattern or general statement about what you're likely to face - be prepared for anything!

A bunch of us were going out in the Dunmail area on Sunday but we've just changed the plans to a Staveley / Kentmere run as there are more low level and escape options
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

thanks

wondering whether it's worth investing in some of these microspikes to aid with BG reccying ...

I was up there happily bounding around in the fresh stuff at NY but it's a different cuppa when it's frozen / icy

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    thanks

wondering whether it's worth investing in some of these microspikes to aid with BG reccying ...

I was up there happily bounding around in the fresh stuff at NY but it's a different cuppa when it's frozen / icy
    Main problem is deep snow over the knees in places. It is patchy so can be avoided but I wouldn't plan on doing a long run.

Another problem is on boulder fields the snow has melted away from the rocks underneath creating air pockets not fun
    Bill

Re. Microspikes: do they fit OK on mudclaws or do they sit better on a less studded sole?

Look to me like they'd probably work better on a sturdy trail shoe like Salomon or North Face, rather than a lightweight fell-shoe or trainer?
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 21-02-2010 at 01:20 PM.

I have used these (Bergsteiger) for 90 miles this winter & they have been good at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.snowchainwarehouse.co.uk/...rices_253.html

I have done the Mickleden Straddle route in them four times, black hill today & they perform well.