Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narrow trail shoes

Narrow trail shoes

Can anyone recommend a pair of shoes that would be suitable for slightly longer races that are mainly on good tracks but with occasional bits slightly techinical rocky terrain?

I have done most of my offroad running so far in Swoop 2s, and these seem fine for muddy or grassy routes, but when the ground gets a bit more solid and rocky they seem a little unstable under my feet, and so was hoping to find something more confidence inspiring.

I'm probably looking something similar to some of the Inov8 Mudrocs or Roclites, but have found the last too wide when I've tried Inov8 shoes before, and so was after recommendations for something with a narrow fit, and that won't destroy my feet on routes not entrely on full on fell terrain (hence me not considering Walshes too much for this purpose).

Any advice appreciated.

Banned

Re: Narrow trail shoes

The new( Black) Mudroc 290 with sticky rubber could be the answer.
    Or my particular favourite is the
    Roclite 285 it has same fit as our fell shoes, a 2 arrow midsole and a sticky rubber Roclite sole.

Super Moderator

Suggest Roclite 285 too. I've done up to 25miles in the Dales in mine without a problem

On a related note - my wife would like to get some trail running shoes, and she has narrow feet (even for a woman) - are the inov8 women's last trail shoes even narrower than the performance last?

It would be worth having a look at the Salomon Speedcross 2, which have pretty good grip but which have an excellent mid-sole and are wonderfully comfy for longer races.

I did the Wasdale Fell Race 2008 in them and a 58k Alpine Trail race which had loads of hard, rocky trails in it.

Not brilliant on very steep descents or when contouring, but that doesn't sound like a big issue for you.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

LianM you can also try the Mudroc 280 which you can find at a very good price. Inov-8 insider i think the new Mudroc 290 has endurance rubber and not sticky rubber as mentioned in the description here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Inov...60047085/#more
    Last edited by Spyros76; 07-01-2010 at 07:56 PM.

I'm on my third pair of Nike Air Zoom trail shoes. You can pick a pair up for £40 at Pete Bland I think. Comfy and grippy with sticky rubber soles, they are even good on wet rock.

Mind you I haven't done much zooming whilst wearing them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skids View Post
    On a related note - my wife would like to get some trail running shoes, and she has narrow feet (even for a woman) - are the inov8 women's last trail shoes even narrower than the performance last?
    Skids
    No the ladies last is NOT overall narrower than the unisex Performance last.
    It's similar to our Endurance last but has a narrower heel, tighter around arch & shaped differently on the top section.

Did up to 46.5 rugged as you like Brecon miles in my 285's with the insoles out, plus did all my training for ultra in 'em. No probs, best all round shoe I've had.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spyros76 View Post
    Inov-8 insider i rhink the new Mudroc 290 has endurance rubber and not sticky rubber as mentioned in the description here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Inov...60047085/#more
    Spyros
    The image on the Wiggle site IS the NEW version this model now comes with a STICKY rubber sole.
    They have the description from the Grey 290.