Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Wild Boar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post
    Looking forward to this years race, hoping the weather will be kind being a little earlier.

Intrigued by a 3rd route option off the summit. Gary says from the trig point go straight down, then keep left along the ridge line, making sure you are not tempted to drop into the valley, he becomes a bit evasive at this point at says 'at some point' turn right and drop straight down to the checkpoint at the bridge. He claims there are no big bogs or reed sections if you follow his advice... Having said that he did manage to get lost on the summit plateau one year..!

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com
    That i think is the one everyone takes, but it's an arc, and in bad weather you'd almost certainly go too far left. I think anyone who hasn't planned or recced would automatically go too far left off the trig anyway, because of the line you come along on the approach to the trig. I like to break immediately right off the trig and head for the V where the little Gills meet, instead of dropping over the edge of the V you swing left and follow the very edge of that little basin. It's rough and full of features so if you aren't fleet-footed it'll be slower, but i find it to be around 45secs faster and i overtook Lisa Lacon one year on that route. The third route is to drop into the basin straight over the edge of the V. I'd bet my bottom dollar that there is a sheep trod somewhere close to the wall that will lead you through the marshes to the checkpoint, as sheep graze the basin and will huddle the wall line in bad weather to get shelter. If you can't drop into the basin very fast and make the most of the gradient going over the edge of the V where the gills meet it would be slower for you.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

It is less than 3 weeks to the Really Wild Boar fell race and we have just been asked a question about kit requirements. As the race is in November and we have had 'interesting' conditions in previous years the kit requirements are as follows...full waterproof body cover, hat, gloves, whistle, compass and a map.

See you soon!

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com

Not long now folks until the Really Wild Boar fell race. This year we have introduced two bucket drops to ensure you all go the correct way and to check you all exit the fell safely.

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com

Not long now folks until the Really Wild Boar fell race. This year we have introduced two bucket drops to ensure you all go the correct way and to check you all exit the fell safely.

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com
    Have you got locations/grid refs for the bucket drops please, Debbie. Don't mean to be anal but, like the Stasi, i'm very keen on details.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Have you got locations/grid refs for the bucket drops please, Debbie. Don't mean to be anal but, like the Stasi, i'm very keen on details.
    The bucket drops will be at checkpoint 3, the cairns at the far end of the summit plateau - Gary's checkpoint and checkpoint 5, the bridge which you return to after the descent from the summit.

You will be given 2 discs at race registration, the discs will be marked with your race number. You must deposit a disc in each of the bucket drops.

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com

The bucket drops will be at checkpoint 3, the cairns at the far end of the summit plateau - Gary's checkpoint and checkpoint 5, the bridge which you return to after the descent from the summit.

You will be given 2 discs at race registration, the discs will be marked with your race number. You must deposit a disc in each of the bucket drops.

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com
    Cheers, D.

Anyone coming to Wild Boar from the Leeds/Bradford area please note that there is likely to be MASSIVE delays at the Cottingley roundabout due to road works.

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com

Banned
    First class event Debbie & Gary and all your helpers.
    Thank you all.

Well done to Ted Mason on winning the event.

Cracking race, really enjoyed it, as did everyone else I spoke to. That track at the end was a bit of a killer after nice spongy bog for most of the descent. Bucket drop seemed to work well.

Great prize giving too, gutted I didn't win the holiday!

The Permit Application for Really Wild Boar has finally been sent to the FRA. We can now definitively confirm that the race is Saturday 19th December at 1pm. Hopefully the full details will appear on the FRA website shortly. Cheers, Debbie.

www.pyrenees-haven.com