Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montane minimus choice?

Montane minimus choice?

Hi folks. I'm new to fell running and have been lurking a while in the forums gleaning advice and tips so a big thanks to all the experienced people who post on here. I don't fell race but I run on the fells. I am however attempting the Bob Graham in July and wanted some advice on a waterproof jacket. I've narrowed it down to a choice of two. The Montane minimus jacket and the minimus smock. I am a climber and walker by trade so would like to use it for things other than running too. But it's largely a purchase for the BG. I like the extra features of the jacket like the adjustable hood, but like the kangaroo pocket and lightness of the smock. Anyone with experience of these two and their suitability please chip in. I have other waterproof jackets but all are too heavy for my BG attempt.

I always prefer a jacket personally over a smock; you can open up the zip to keep cool with the hood up to keep dry, it is also easier to take on and off.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Welcome to the forum

As Tahr mentioned, I also think a jacket is easier to put on or take off, so more convenient. And for the pocket, I think if it's raining the kangaroo pouch is going to take in water more than the side pocket. Good jacket though.
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    Welcome to the forum

As Tahr mentioned, I also think a jacket is easier to put on or take off, so more convenient. And for the pocket, I think if it's raining the kangaroo pouch is going to take in water more than the side pocket. Good jacket though.
    Thanks Mick.

I think the jacket will last longer too. I'm prone to damaging clothing pulling stuff over my head. Long arms you see.

Hi Wooj,
    My first contribution to the forum too! I bought the Minimus smock a couple of months ago and worn it once during a flooded NYD road race,its very waterproof & breathes well. Although I got to agree its quite thin & pulling it over your head,its more likely to get damaged. Opening the "Kangeroo " pocket does vent some heat only real advantage its slightly cheaper than the jacket, maybe slightly lighter? I'm not sure. I bought it as it fulfils the requirement and probably will spend most of its time in my bumbag.

I have the Montain Mountain Minimus jacket (not sure if 'mountain' makes much difference) and have run BG route in foul conditions - high wind, dense clag, hammering rain. It's bombproof, can't rate it highly enough. Like others I also prefer a jacket over a smock for reasons given. Venting especially via mesh lined pockets is vg. The jacket is very light and July you shd be ok but if you are cold-bodied, which I'm not, consider having another as back up which is thicker. In case of bad rain you might want a back up anyway. One thing I have heard some people say is their jacket has de-laminated, presumably meaning the lining breaks down, but my jacket is too young for this to have happened yet if it happens at all.

I have a ME Firefox that's goretex and is pretty solid in crap weather and weighs in at 340g that's gonna be my spare as it's too heavy to carry on the round. Gues one of the reasons I'm asking is: is an extra 50g gonna make much difference to me over the 66 miles? The smock is 50g lighter and a bit cheaper. All my other kit is the lightest I can get.
    Thanks for the posts guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooj View Post
    I have a ME Firefox that's goretex and is pretty solid in crap weather and weighs in at 340g that's gonna be my spare as it's too heavy to carry on the round. Gues one of the reasons I'm asking is: is an extra 50g gonna make much difference to me over the 66 miles? The smock is 50g lighter and a bit cheaper. All my other kit is the lightest I can get.
    Thanks for the posts guys.
    50g wont make any difference at all. People will be carrying your food water and spare kit which on another day over that terrain and distance would be about 3-5kg. Determination and steady speed will get you round. Maybe it will for me one day too!

Think I'm gonna go with the minimus jacket, the better hood has sold me. Thanks all for your advice.

Is the Montane Minimus OK for the FRA race rules? I'm thinking of getting one. Cheers.