Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Trousers

Waterproof bottoms

for MM i am getting the kamleika smock for upper, i know they dont aceept pertex as waterproof, but for bottoms would they accept mac in a sac type bottoms. i just did not want to spend a fortune on bottoms too?
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Re: Waterproof bottoms

Before last years (cancelled) OSMT I managed to buy a pair of waterproof bottoms for about £10 in Fort William. They were marked as waterproof and breathable and had taped seams which seems to meet the requirements of most organisers when they actually specify 'waterproof' as opposed to windproof. They were also reasonably compact and light - in fact they are light enough to let you carry some proper pertex bottoms to actually wear if you need to. I wouldn't fancy running far in the waterproof ones - they would be a last ditch measure to put on if I was immobilised or walking off (and to produce at a kit check) but for the occasions where waterproof bottoms are actually specified they meet the criteria without breaking the bank for a bit of kit I dont think I am very likely to need or use very often - and when (if) I ever really do need to use them they will do the job.

I bought mac in the sack types and they are fine - mine are called "mini-pac"

Excellent top and bottoms - full body cover for around £30 from Outdoor Action in Blackburn.

I own a pair of Regatta breathable(supposedly) waterproof, fully taped leggings that are not much heavier or bulkier than my pertex pair. Cost me £8. Very rarely wear them, but 18 months ago they were just the ticket to stick on a BG contender that I was pacing, when the weather turned into a real hoolee on Dalehead. They got him safely down to Littledale Reservoir, before removing them. Another friend borrowed them, and they passed the KIMM kit check.

Super Moderator

I have a pair of what sound like exactly the same thing WD. Yeomans sell them and I don't think I've ever worn mine but they've got through the kit check at PPP, FRA relays, Tanky's etc

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I own a pair of Regatta breathable(supposedly) waterproof, fully taped leggings that are not much heavier or bulkier than my pertex pair. Cost me £8. Very rarely wear them, but 18 months ago they were just the ticket to stick on a BG contender that I was pacing, when the weather turned into a real hoolee on Dalehead. They got him safely down to Littledale Reservoir, before removing them. Another friend borrowed them, and they passed the KIMM kit check.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Is the Kamleika smock really worth the money?
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    well, this i am not sure of, cheapest i found one for is 74 quid. I have mac in a sac top but its knackered now, it was waterproof and has taped seams. However, when i wore it on one occaision on top of whernie where it was really blowing and raining, it just did no good and i was drenched and near hypothermic. I thought the smock would do a better job?
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    Only if you've got summat warm on underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I have a pair of what sound like exactly the same thing WD. Yeomans sell them and I don't think I've ever worn mine but they've got through the kit check at PPP, FRA relays, Tanky's etc
    Ditto. Haven't had to wear my waterproof pants in 5 years of racing and training.

undercover moderator

Waterproof pants always sound a bit kinky to me.