Thread: Abingdon Marathon cancelled

Master

Abingdon Marathon cancelled

On the back of Cardiff marathon being cancelled this year it appears that Abingdon Marathon will not be going ahead either.

I thought there was growing interest in running or am i right in thinking that it is becoming to expensive with policing etc to stage these road events?.

Then as the road events disappear will that then further the growing interest in Fell Running, orienteering etc?
    The older I get the Faster I was

Re: Abingdon Marathon cancelle

Looking at the website it appears that 'certain key positions on the organising committee could not be filled'.

Frankly, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often as it must be a pretty thankless task - a shame for the runners who had already entered but understandable.

Unfortunately I can see a time when only large, commercial organisations have the necessary resources/infrastructure to stage running events, to the detriment of the sport as a whole.

Let's hope there remain enough dedicated club members, familes and friends to keep putting on events despite the growing red tape etc. involved.