Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What shoes for Marathon ?

Re: What shoes for Marathon ?

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Ran a road marathon in Nike Air Pegasus then wore them as trail shoes after.
    Thanks Merrylegs - there seem to be many versions of this shoe, which particular one did you go for ?
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    I'd recommend a gait analysis , then find the cheapest pair of correct shoes you can. Buy two pairs, one to train in and one to run the marathon in.

Then just use them for trail runs afterwards and vouch never to go near the road again, its just too hard.
    Seems sensible - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    Road running can be fantastic. Get over this negativity about running on the road.
    Clearly a personal preference I've tried pretty much all forms of running and have always gravitated towards the off-road disciplines (Orienteering, Trail & Fell). Not particularly good at any of them though

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    In Nike Zoom Marathoner, good enough for Paula Radcliffe m8 so good enough for us meer mortals They are light but offer adequate support for the marathon.
    Thanks for the tip, gives me a few options to look at

no need to bother with gait analysis
    to decide if you need motion-control, support or cushioned (neutral) shoes, just try this:
    http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/foottype.htm

I'm neutral, and can recommend Mizuno Wave Rider, Asics Cumulus or Saucony Progrid Ride as solid mid-price jobbies
    if you want to spend more, then Mizuno Creation, Asics Nimbus or Saucony Triumph

oh, and brace yourself for shin-splints, plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, ilio-tibial band syndrome, stress fractures...
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 15-01-2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eLBee! View Post
    I've been hoping that inov-8 would respond to the pendulum swing that is seeing people rejecting the sofa shoes, for shoes that allow the feet to work in the way they were designed.
    The f-lite 230 makes an excellent road shoe - I ran 10 marathons in 10 days in mine - and I'll be taking delivery of the 220PK in the next couple of days, which also looks like it'll be an excellent road shoe.
    I've been waiting for some indication that there was a 1 or 0 cushion shoe in development - as well as wider shoes for the platypus-footed amongst us.
    It's great to see that this has ALSO been taken on board.
    And the ground 'feel' of the lighter shoes is something I've always liked, so an even further pared down fell shoe is really something to look forward to!
    Mr eLBee ran 10 marathons in 10 days in the F-Lite 230, the last marathon on the 10th day was run in 3hrs 10 mins I think. Not bad going eh.
    Commonwealth 24hr record holder Martin Fryer from Australia uses the F-Lte 230 for his long distant road runs.

That runnersworld link makes me utterly sick, they are propagating the myth that we are all inheritanly broken in some way and need fixing with the proper shoes, well we've managed to evolve to become the dominant species on this planet by running and we did this quite happily for 100's of thousand years barefoot or as good as. 40 years of shoe "Technology" has not made anyone more faster and could quite possibly be the reason why there are more and more cases of running injuries.
    You only have to see how runnersworld is ad funded to realise why they still spout this stuff. Its the road to injury, ignore.

Well said Twister.

Runners world = superfluous froth with the smiley airbrushed front cover and 'subscriber only content' on the website its sterile.
    (although the runnersworld.com site isn't bad).
    Last time I flicked through it in tescos they were reviewing some sort of shoe with metal springs in the heels, and no, it wasn't the april issue. Its quite sad because people use this publication as gospel.

Regarding shoes. racing flats are all you need for the road if you really must run on tarmac, something like saucony fastwitch or similar.
    I think I'll be trying the INOV8 230s for all rounders until the xtalon 190s come out in july.

The Less cushioning and support the better

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    Mr eLBee ran 10 marathons in 10 days in the F-Lite 230, the last marathon on the 10th day was run in 3hrs 10 mins I think. Not bad going eh.
    Commonwealth 24hr record holder Martin Fryer from Australia uses the F-Lte 230 for his long distant road runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Regarding shoes. racing flats are all you need for the road if you really must run on tarmac, something like saucony fastwitch or similar.
    I think I'll be trying the INOV8 230s for all rounders until the xtalon 190s come out in july.
    The Less cushioning and support the better
    Thanks folks. I had been wondering about the F-Lite 230s... Does anyone on the forum have personal experience of doing long road runs in them ?

It's time I made a decision, and given all your helpful responses, I'm left with a lot of options

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FarFromTheFells View Post
    I've been conned - err, I mean persuaded - into doing the Brighton Marathon

As an almost exclusively off-road runner, I don't own any road shoes and will need to invest in some as I move some of my traning on to the roads over the next 3 months...

Any suggestions ? I don't want to spend a fortune on shoes that I won't be using that much (as road running really isn't my passion), but at the same time, don't want to buy something that'll leave me injured !!

Thanks in advance for any useful advice
    DONT..use fastwitches.........dont please, youll get crippled. I cant manage more than 15 miles in a pair
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

DONT..use fastwitches.........dont please, youll get crippled. I cant manage more than 15 miles in a pair
    If you have done the miles and your muscles are developed thus taking enough of the load away from your joints, fastwitches should be ok.