Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What shoes for Marathon ?

Re: What shoes for Marathon ?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    DONT..use fastwitches.........dont please, youll get crippled. I cant manage more than 15 miles in a pair
    You must have a neutral foot them tom, the fastwitch is a supportive racer.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    You must have a neutral foot them tom, the fastwitch is a supportive racer.
    Good explanation actually mate..top call
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by FarFromTheFells View Post
    I've been conned - err, I mean persuaded - into doing the Brighton Marathon

As an almost exclusively off-road runner, I don't own any road shoes and will need to invest in some as I move some of my traning on to the roads over the next 3 months...

Any suggestions ? I don't want to spend a fortune on shoes that I won't be using that much (as road running really isn't my passion), but at the same time, don't want to buy something that'll leave me injured !!

Thanks in advance for any useful advice
    For road racing, I think the lighter shoe you can get away with, the better.
    Obviously don't train in them every day, save them for the racing, their is a psychological advantage to. The less weight you carry the better.

Thanks to all for your advice. I thought I'd already typed this reply, but maybe I posted it in the wrong thread or something daft...? Anyway, here goes.

In the end I went to a running shop in London who analysed my gait, concluding that I turn my left foot out slightly, which means my foot then rolls too much to the inside. So I ended up with a pair of Asics Gel 1100s, apprently the best (reasonably priceed) shoe for my profile.

And by all accounts, they're not as padded as many other shoes.

I guess I'll see how I get on.
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    That runnersworld link makes me utterly sick, they are propagating the myth that we are all inheritanly broken in some way and need fixing with the proper shoes, well we've managed to evolve to become the dominant species on this planet by running and we did this quite happily for 100's of thousand years barefoot or as good as. 40 years of shoe "Technology" has not made anyone more faster and could quite possibly be the reason why there are more and more cases of running injuries.
    You only have to see how runnersworld is ad funded to realise why they still spout this stuff. Its the road to injury, ignore.
    There is scientific evidence to back up what you're suggesting:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...s-1881341.html

Cheers
    @jasesteve

Quote Originally Posted by FarFromTheFells View Post
    Thanks to all for your advice. I thought I'd already typed this reply, but maybe I posted it in the wrong thread or something daft...? Anyway, here goes.

In the end I went to a running shop in London who analysed my gait, concluding that I turn my left foot out slightly, which means my foot then rolls too much to the inside. So I ended up with a pair of Asics Gel 1100s, apprently the best (reasonably priceed) shoe for my profile.

And by all accounts, they're not as padded as many other shoes.

I guess I'll see how I get on.
    Be careful. after the first road marathon I did in clapped out new balance from JJBs I decided to get gait analysis on a free asics road show type thing they were taking round shops.
    The totally disinterested asics rep didn't even want to see the inov8s I was currently running in for wear pattern and told me to put some cumulus on (mid range cushion shoe) I got on the treadmill and he told me I was a slightly overpronating heel striker and could use any shoe I wanted so I went away and brought a half price pair of gel nimbus (asics top cushion shoe). After training for the Snowdon marathon I was getting twinges in my knees and after the race had callouses and blisters gallore.
    I got there about 30mins early for my analysis session and I saw at least 4 people come out one after the other and order full price cumulus in the shop even though you can get them 30-40% cheaper on the net. Made me think this is just a big corporate bullshit company giving everyone an answer they want to hear. Do I pronate or not? then you feel obliged to buy their shoes.

I will never buy any Asics again after that. These shops need to wise up and realise that all the years of shoe technology development have come to nothing but more injury. Walsh got it right first time and didn't feel the need to change and inov8 are giving the minimalist runner more choice.

rant over..

i've been told i have flat feet and overpronate so have always been sold a built up supportive shoe like the asics gel 3000 series. i got some asics ds trainers, which are a slightly lighter shoe with some control, for racing and found i felt better in those. so i wondered what would happen if i went even lighter and bought the inov f lite 220 and found they felt even better. after a month of getting used to them i ran a road marathon in them a fortnight ago and broke 3:30. someone with apparently bad biomechanics running in a shoe with very little cushioning or support and getting on fine.

in conclusion, ignore everything you're told (including this message), follow your instincts and wear what you want. the crucial thing is to convince yourself that the shoes you have are the right shoes, because you don't want any doubt to creep in during the marathon.

good luck for brighton

I agree with JSBean, you have to find you own way.
    I've done 30 road marathons since 1980 with a PB of 2.30. I like light weight shoes like Nike Elite which probably don't exist any more. But it really is each to his own. Don't forget the blokes doing gait analysis may be on commission for a particular brand of shoe.
    It would be worth your while to try several types. The ones that don't suit will still be good shoes for training over shorter distances and you can reserve your favoured pair for races.

Quote Originally Posted by JSBean View Post
    i've been told i have flat feet and overpronate so have always been sold a built up supportive shoe like the asics gel 3000 series. i got some asics ds trainers, which are a slightly lighter shoe with some control, for racing and found i felt better in those. so i wondered what would happen if i went even lighter and bought the inov f lite 220 and found they felt even better. after a month of getting used to them i ran a road marathon in them a fortnight ago and broke 3:30. someone with apparently bad biomechanics running in a shoe with very little cushioning or support and getting on fine.

in conclusion, ignore everything you're told (including this message), follow your instincts and wear what you want. the crucial thing is to convince yourself that the shoes you have are the right shoes, because you don't want any doubt to creep in during the marathon.

good luck for brighton
    Thanks JSB. I ended up with a pair of Asics 1100 Gel, which seem OK and are pretty light. I did wonder about going for an even lighter shoe like the F-Lites - maybe next time if I do end up doing more road running

Only 4 weeks to go and I've picked up an 'inner thigh muscle strain', so this week's training has gone to rat-poo I'll have to take it easy for a fewq mroe days I think...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    I agree with JSBean, you have to find you own way.
    I've done 30 road marathons since 1980 with a PB of 2.30. I like light weight shoes like Nike Elite which probably don't exist any more. But it really is each to his own. Don't forget the blokes doing gait analysis may be on commission for a particular brand of shoe.
    It would be worth your while to try several types. The ones that don't suit will still be good shoes for training over shorter distances and you can reserve your favoured pair for races.
    Thanks BL. I went to Run And Become near Victoria in London, who to be fair, did let me try several different pairs covering different makes, until we settled on my current pair (Asics 1100 Gel). So I've ended up with just the 1 pair due to tight finances, which I use for road training and will do the actual race in them too.

Cheers