Page 484 of 553 FirstFirst ... 384434474482483484485486494534 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,840 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

I'm convinced there is pressure from the big sponsors, onto the FA and England management, to play the big names...

Why on earth is Sterling anywhere near the England squad, other than to appease the sponsors. Same applied to Rooney for several years. Not picking on those two, but they come to mind most easily.

Why don't we just play players in the correct position. Rashford right up front with Kane. Same with when Rooney was justifiably getting in the team, but we didn't play him as a striker. Same as when we tried to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the same midfield.... etc etc...

I do feel sorry for Southgate. After our next failure he'll get slated and sacked, without any thought that our "world class" players are actually shite and technically inferior.

Eriksson, Capello, Hodgson, McLaren, etc... didn't all become bad managers the moment they joined England. They just took the rap for the lack of talent and development of technical ability in this country.

Banned
    We haven't got any world class players.
    Not even Kane

Banned
    I'm going to make a bold prediction here... England are going to flop at next summer's World Cup.

Banned
    Should Southgate go?
    England have no ideas.
    Why do I watch it???

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I do feel sorry for Southgate. After our next failure he'll get slated and sacked, without any thought that our "world class" players are actually shite and technically inferior.

Eriksson, Capello, Hodgson, McLaren, etc... didn't all become bad managers the moment they joined England. They just took the rap for the lack of talent and development of technical ability in this country.
    But when was Southgate ever a good manager? His record is not inspiring. He was just the safe choice made by the FA. Somebody who doesn't say or do anything controversial. He has managed to inherit the team that lost so miserably to Iceland and make them look even less impressive. A remarkable feat.

QUOTE=Muddy Retriever;635933]But when was Southgate ever a good manager? His record is not inspiring. He was just the safe choice made by the FA. Somebody who doesn't say or do anything controversial. He has managed to inherit the team that lost so miserably to Iceland and make them look even less impressive. A remarkable feat.[/QUOTE]

Ah but by the FRA appointing a mediocre manager one should not be disappointed when he inevitably fails as in (said smugly) "See, I was right, I said he was rubbish".

Meanwhile, back in the real world: Wolves for the Premiership?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    But when was Southgate ever a good manager? His record is not inspiring. He was just the safe choice made by the FA. Somebody who doesn't say or do anything controversial. He has managed to inherit the team that lost so miserably to Iceland and make them look even less impressive. A remarkable feat.
    My point was not so much defending Southgate, but defending managers as a whole. usually get derided by the press and our public for being "shit", without stopping to look that it's in fact the whole generation of players who are not up to it.

In fact I almost feel sorry for the players in a small way. They are hysterically hyped up by the press to be "world class", due to the Premier League supposedly being the best league in the world (is it buggery).... when most teams in the premier league are propped up by non-English players anyway. In the last round of champions league fixtures, of the 5 English teams, I think I counted 10 English players in the starting line ups.

England are always better when they run at teams and yet all we do is pass it about until we lose it.

the other thing that always winds me up is why do we not put some one on beyond the box when there is a corner, I reckon 40% of time the ball is over hit or takes a deflection and ends up running away. put a winger further out and they can just chip it back in..its not rocket science

Banned
    Neville would like the Everton job. Ha ha ha

After England and Valencia I bet he would.

Big Sam for Everton.

R.I.P football. Liverpool V Spurs, 2 ridiculous penalty awards given. Forwards get into the penalty area, fall over and a penalty is given. Even when Manchester City gets these decisions it still makes me mad.