Page 22 of 553 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122522 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Re: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    That was the incident I had in mind.

Thats a fair bit of money from this years repayments just gone down the drain.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    Show me someone who is gracious in defeat and I'll show you a loser
    Gracious in defeat is one thing. Blaming your own shortcomings on the actions of others is probably more accurate in this instance. Man Utd let a 2 goal lead slip and didn't play well enough over the two legs.

If I were to show you someone to highlight this point, it would be Brian Clough. He didn't whinge about refereeing decisions. He instilled in his players that the outcome of the game was in their hands. This approach has come through a few other managers who learnt under Brian Clough, such as Martin O'Neil and (for a while) Stuart Pearce.

Ferguson criticising opposition players for trying to influence the referee is pretty funny. Pot... kettle...

I think fergusson was right in his comments about a team of international footballers being "typical germans" - I was in town yesterday lunchtime and their fans were clearly guilty of placing towels on all the sun loungers outside Sinclairs, murdering millions of jews and invading poland........ give that chap a knighthood!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g?t=1270681366
    Last edited by Danbert Nocurry; 08-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Just going a little off the current thread, I think that the earlier than expected exit of the English teams may well have an added benefit for us in the World Cup.

That's less fixtures now for quite a few key players, and perhaps a little end of season break before the squad gets together.

The typical Germans comment was a little strange given that the club may be German, but like most teams, the players were multi-national.

Mrs WP commented in the first half (and credit to her for this!) that Ferguson should take Raphael off after he had been yellow carded - as he was clearly impetuous, and that Munich may well now work on this and Man Utd could easily be down to 10.
    I tend to agree - Ferguson could have brought O'Shea on at half time.

Finally though, I do think it ironic that Raphael was yellow carded for a trip, that was a reaction to him being trippped himself (and nothing given).

Ribery did have his arm pulled a little, but was in front, had control, but chose to retaliate - almost stopping and elbowing Raphael.
    Ribery escaped any punishment for his retaliation, and managed to have a player sent off as well.

Cynical pehaviour like this takes place in football all the time though and needs to be resolved throughout and it is no good Ferguson, Wenger or anyone trying to claim the moral ground as all teams are guilty.

Come on Benfica!

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Gracious in defeat is one thing. Blaming your own shortcomings on the actions of others is probably more accurate in this instance. Man Utd let a 2 goal lead slip and didn't play well enough over the two legs.

If I were to show you someone to highlight this point, it would be Brian Clough. He didn't whinge about refereeing decisions. He instilled in his players that the outcome of the game was in their hands. This approach has come through a few other managers who learnt under Brian Clough, such as Martin O'Neil and (for a while) Stuart Pearce.

Ferguson criticising opposition players for trying to influence the referee is pretty funny. Pot... kettle...
    They're still a loser though Your example with Clough was a good one - you have to make sure you win the games which Utd didn't in this case. Let's not forget that Bayern only won on a technicality (away goals) over the two legs so if Utd aren't up to scratch then neither are Bayern

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    Let's not forget that Bayern only won on a technicality (away goals) over the two legs
    so if Utd aren't up to scratch then neither are Bayern
    Will you be at Newlands tomorrow? I will bring a few straws that you can clutch!

Come on Fulham!!!

Goal after 24 seconds

(Correction: 21 seconds)
    Last edited by Multiterrainer; 08-04-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: correction

As things stand we could end up with Fulham being the last English club in Europe!