Page 434 of 553 FirstFirst ... 334384424432433434435436444484534 ... LastLast
Results 4,331 to 4,340 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Interesting. I get the argument that pretty much that squad won the championship a year ago, but a quick bit of research shows Vidic and Rio combined played as many league games as Evans, Jones and Smalling combined. The latter three wouldn't have been playing exclusively at the back whilst Rio and Vidic were regularly paired at centre-back, so really what's missing now (and in 13-14) was a solid central defence pairing.

I do rate Evans and Jones as good players, but not a championship winning foundation for a team. So that's 2 new players needed. Evra's passed it now, so make that 3. Rafael? We'll let him off. Cracking young player, but with the faint whiff of liability never too far away.

Zaha, Fletcher, Carrick and Januzaj as midfield group? Jury's very much out on Zaha. Januzaj's got bags of potential and has already looked superb in a few matches, but don't think he's ready yet to be a permanent fixture in the first team. Fletcher works hard and probably has more quality than people give him credit for. Likewise Carrick to some extent. But the two of 'em as mainstays in a championship challenging side? I can't see it when compared to what Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have to offer. They're miles off. I'm wanting another 3 or 4 players in there if you're challenging for the title.

Up front you could well have the best line-up in the league. I'd love to see RVP, Rooney and Mata given the opportunity to rip it up a bit.

So, yeah, plenty of new players needed in my opinion.
    And a year ago.. would you have said Skertel and Agger would be a defensive partnership to go for the title? Lucas and Henderson?

No... They went from 7th to 2nd with good management.. yet suddenly even scouse fans seem to think we have to spend the 100's of millions that they didn't need to....

2-3 players and we'll contend with anyone.. City have spent 100's of millions but despite Chelsea's wealth I think this squad is pretty weak...

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    And a year ago.. would you have said Skertel and Agger would be a defensive partnership to go for the title? Lucas and Henderson?

No... They went from 7th to 2nd with good management.. yet suddenly even scouse fans seem to think we have to spend the 100's of millions that they didn't need to....

2-3 players and we'll contend with anyone.. City have spent 100's of millions but despite Chelsea's wealth I think this squad is pretty weak...
    Fair enough shout on Liverpool, I wouldn't have predicted they'd have ended up where they did.

But look at these midfields:

Chelsea - Oscar, Hazard, Schurrle, Matic, Willian, Salah, Mikel, Ramires, Lampard

Arsenal - Wilshire, Ozil, Ramsey, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Flamini, Carzola, Arteta, Diaby, Rosicky

Man City - Toure (happy birthday!), Nasri, Fernandinho, Silva, Navas, Garcia, Milner, Rodwell, Barry

Obviously not all these players will still be there at the start of next season, but still. Can United really compete with that lot? I don't think you've got anything like enough weight in midfield.
    Geoff Clarke

You said what's your best line up of the CURRENT squad. I gave it.

Jones is a class player - he just hasn't been given the game time in defence and been used as a utility player. Given a run at the back, he's easily as good as any other English defender. Evans was injured. Smalling isn't good enough to be a first XI player but a good fall back, a la Wes Brown.

A new left back (Shaw) is a must and we probably need a new centre back (Hummels) but, more importantly, we need to settle on a back 4.

12 months ago, Carrick was our player of the year - he's not gone bad overnight but is coming to the end of his career. Fletcher was class but probably needs replacing. Januzaj was actually too protected last year by Moyes (like he did with Barkley at Everton) and will build on a good first season - if they're good enough, they're old enough.

I think Zaha will shine under Van Gaal (and perhaps won't sh*g his daughter!) - he showed enough at Palace to make me believe he can do a job in a team with direction. We also have Valencia who can play in that position.

Fabregas and Strootman in for the central midfielders.

So we need 3 or 4 players, not 5 or 6, which is exactly what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post

Indeed. I think you need more. We shall agree to disagree!
    Geoff Clarke

Fair enough shout on Liverpool, I wouldn't have predicted they'd have ended up where they did.

But look at these midfields:

Chelsea - Oscar, Hazard, Schurrle, Matic, Willian, Salah, Mikel, Ramires, Lampard

Arsenal - Wilshire, Ozil, Ramsey, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Flamini, Carzola, Arteta, Diaby, Rosicky

Man City - Toure (happy birthday!), Nasri, Fernandinho, Silva, Navas, Garcia, Milner, Rodwell, Barry

Obviously not all these players will still be there at the start of next season, but still. Can United really compete with that lot? I don't think you've got anything like enough weight in midfield.
    These were similar midfields to when United won the title in 2013... We've lost Scholes and Giggs who were bit part players anyway, added Januzaj, Mata, Zaha and Felliani.. add another central midfielder and we'll be as strong as then.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    These were similar midfields to when United won the title in 2013... We've lost Scholes and Giggs who were bit part players anyway, added Januzaj, Mata, Zaha and Felliani.. add another central midfielder and we'll be as strong as then.
    We'll see. It'll certainly be an interesting season if United strengthen. Will City have Toure? If not, who will they buy to replace him? Who will they buy anyway? Likewise Chelsea and Liverpool.
    Geoff Clarke

"By the time of his dismissal, Louis van Gaal had alienated players and members of the Bayern board alike"

Sounds like another Moyes in the making
    No country for old men.

We'll see. It'll certainly be an interesting season if United strengthen. Will City have Toure? If not, who will they buy to replace him? Who will they buy anyway? Likewise Chelsea and Liverpool.
    I dont think Toure is a big loss, with his build he'll put on weight and lose his speed early.. he's 31 and knows he needs 1 last big contract... as Danbert says, sell him now, buy someone 8 years younger.. Rooney has done similar twice but with more years still to play, but if he tries it again I think he'd be allowed to go..

Pogba may well leave Juve..

Liverpool depends if they sell Suarez, a good world cup and I think he'll go.. if not I don't think they have much to spend.

Chelsea aren't a spending club the same so I dont think we'll see huge moves and the same with City after their punishment..

I can't see any of the top 5 or 6 spending huge sums to be honest, I think we'll spend more than anyone; Everton need to replace or buy Barry and Lukaku... Spurs spent the Bale funds last year..

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    "By the time of his dismissal, Louis van Gaal had alienated players and members of the Bayern board alike"

Sounds like another Moyes in the making
    He is a gamble, he's a winner but he's also a wrecking ball.. I liked when he walked into one team and dropped his trousers to show them his balls to say he has the balls to drop them all..

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post

Jones is a class player - he just hasn't been given the game time in defence and been used as a utility player. Given a run at the back, he's easily as good as any other English defender. Evans was injured. Smalling isn't good enough to be a first XI player but a good fall back, a la Wes Brown.

A new left back (Shaw) is a must and we probably need a new centre back (Hummels) but, more importantly, we need to settle on a back 4.

12 months ago, Carrick was our player of the year - he's not gone bad overnight but is coming to the end of his career. Fletcher was class but probably needs replacing. Januzaj was actually too protected last year by Moyes (like he did with Barkley at Everton) and will build on a good first season - if they're good enough, they're old enough.

I think Zaha will shine under Van Gaal (and perhaps won't sh*g his daughter!) - he showed enough at Palace to make me believe he can do a job in a team with direction. We also have Valencia who can play in that position.

Fabregas and Strootman in for the central midfielders.

I think Smalling is a good center half, he's just not a good enough footballer to be a full back, you need to be a very very good footballer, like Cole or Lahm to be a full back in the modern game, 10 years ago he would have been OK, in todays game he just offers us little.

I'd keep him, like you say good option.

Jones needs to sort out these injuries, I thought Keane was wrong, he's been class in games as a center half or center mid, but he needs to stop getting injured.