Page 473 of 553 FirstFirst ... 373423463471472473474475483523 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,730 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Yes, enjoy, a trip to Wembley/London is always a good crack, our most recent visit was for last years Challenge Cup final, despite the result a great time was had by all.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Grounds I consider to have a good atmosphere from the home side:

Wolves
    West Brom
    Norwich
    Cardiff (not been to their new ground yet though)
    Everton
    Port Vale on a good day can be loud. The whole area is like how football used to be, I do like it there.
    Nottm Forest
    Derby

Always been disappointed by Leeds, Sheff Utd and Birmingham, given their hostile reputations. Old Trafford predictably is awful.
    Best atmosphere at a match I was at was Wolves v Liverpool, last match of the season 1976. Wolves had to win to stop up and Liverpool had to win or draw to win the title. Wolves were one up till Liverpool got three in the last fifteen minutes, Keegan, Toshack and Ray Kennedy, what a night

Most of them appear to go in order to throw bottles of piss into the away end...
    Well they probably don't remember when Wolves provided 4 players for the England team including,of course, 105-caps Billy Wright.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well anyone who has followed the many downs and occasional ups of what 60 years ago was arguably the best football team in Europe know that people don't go to Molineux for the prawn sandwiches.
    Hey, it's not rock 'n' roll but I like it
    Poacher turned game-keeper

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R9B26fXTj4c

Here's the St Etienne match I was on about yesterday

St Etienne fans are fantastic. Would love to go to a home game. Met up with their main group of 'ultras' after a game in Caen and spent the night drinking along the harbour with them, fantastic group...

Caen is a great trip for football fans who want to sample a foreign match. Night ferry from Portsmouth, match the following afternoon, cheap hotel that night and back on the ferry the next day... Not the biggest name in football but we all know it's about more than just the football... Lovely city, and close to a lot of war sites, such as Pegasus Bridge...

Super Moderator
    One nil
    Poacher turned game-keeper

St Etienne fans are fantastic. Would love to go to a home game. Met up with their main group of 'ultras' after a game in Caen and spent the night drinking along the harbour with them, fantastic group...

Caen is a great trip for football fans who want to sample a foreign match. Night ferry from Portsmouth, match the following afternoon, cheap hotel that night and back on the ferry the next day... Not the biggest name in football but we all know it's about more than just the football... Lovely city, and close to a lot of war sites, such as Pegasus Bridge...
    Only French ground I've been to is Auxerre many years ago when we were driving back from St Tropez. I've only been to Coventry once Travs and that would be before your time about 1972 or 3, all I remember is a 2-0 win for Liverpool and being stood in the pissing rain for 2 hours in the open away end, that was one of the downsides of the good old days of the 1970's.

Coventry is not the same any more. For me the club died once we left Highfield Road. A tight atmospheric ground in the city centre, surrounded by fantastic pubs.

Now we are in a soulless bowl that we half fill if lucky. Same story for many teams I guess.

I do feel sorry for the young fans now, thinking it's a great atmosphere cos we have 50 teenagers and a drum, they will never see a big game at Highfield Road, running up the road from the Binley Oak or Brewer & Baker pub at 2-59pm, greeting by 4000 baying away fans a matter of yards from you.

The away games still occasionally bring the old atmosphere back we take good numbers of fans, probably close to premier league levels. I remember Leyton Orient a couple of years ago was a good one.

Unfortunately if we do make the playoff final this season, I will be in Jura so will be missing out, although no doubt thousands will come out of the woodwork for that day.... Yes I'm a bitter football fan...!