Page 491 of 553 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493501541 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,910 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Oh I hope so. I am going to Croatia soon on holiday and I am looking forward to free drinks after I say I am English.
    Me too, next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    FiFA rankings.... the rankings that have Wales above Croatia... Poland, peru & Denmark above us... and Germany ranked no. 1.....? Weren't England top 3 at some point in the rankings recently? I wouldn't pay too much notice to the rankings.

Croatia were undoubtedly superior to us. Look at their players, particularly up front and midfield. Sprinkled around the best clubs in Europe... Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter Milan... they just had quality over and above us.... and once they figured out that putting a bit of pressure on our midfield, we passed it back to the defence or keeper, and a long ball up, and they could win the ball without too much effort.

Certainly no lack of 'bottle' or effort... just a bit of quality.

But football is won and lost on such small margins. Let's not forget that for the width of a crossbar in the penalty shoot-out against Colombia, we would likely have been out in the 2nd round, it would have been another "disaster" and everyone would be slating the team and manager. And on the other hand, had we gone 2-0 up last night we'd probably now be in a world cup final. It's the nature of cup football.
    Spot on. The rankings are nonsensical, you could add the very mediocre Argentinians who are rated 5th. The Croatians thrashed them 3-0. No disgrace at all to lose to Croatia, as you say they have quality in abundance in midfield.

Super Moderator
    Croatia did what likes of Sweden have done to England in the past but with some real quality. They have some great footballers (two played for Derby in the 90’s. Stimac a modern Rams legend)

I’ve really enjoyed the World Cup. Chapeau to Gareth and the boys. It’s not only been okay to support you it’s been fun. Thank you

Banned
    I saw fom 60mins to the end. 2nd best at everything apart from back passes.

The second half was much flatter than the first half. Maybe it was because I'd run out of beer.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Bielsa's Leeds fast out of the traps. Even if it all ends in tears and recriminations (very probable given club and manager), a rare win away at Derby is always a nice surprise
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 12-08-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Poster confusion - just thought I’d help

Banned
    Very entertaining they were too.

Passing and pressing with goal attempts is always pleasing to watch.

Its when there's no end product that's poor and boring.

Banned
    Any comments from DT?

Quote Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
    Bielsa's Leeds fast out of the traps. Even if it all ends in tears and recriminations (very probable given club and manager), a rare win away at Derby is always a nice surprise
    In the first two matches Leeds have been astonishingly good, hard to believe it is substantially the same team that finished last season so tamely. Bielsa has made a huge impact. I thought Kemar Roofe was on his way out at the end of last season but now he looks like a world beater.

It is only two games though. We were top after seven games last year and obviously that all petered out rather dismally. I also wonder whether a fairly small squad can keep up the high octane pressing game. Injuries and suspensions will inevitably happen and Leeds seem rather light in terms of back up. But for now I'm really enjoying the ride.

Leeds.... fond memories of playing them at both Highfield Road and Elland Road.

At Highfield Road i don't think i ever went to a Leeds match where there wasn't massive crowd trouble. I particularly remember the final game of the 1995-96 season when we stayed up and there was a big pitch invasion from both sides and massive fights.

But Leeds always bought a good atmosphere with them. In fact my fondest memory of Highfield Road was a match round about 97-98-99 in the Premier League when we actually lost 3-2 to Leeds in a stunning game with a quite amazing atmosphere from both sets of fans. Funny that for all the great victories over Villa, Manchester United, Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc, it's a loss which is my best memory.

Away to Leeds we never seemed to fare too well, i think i saw us scrape a draw there, in amongst a series of defeats. Worst memory is going up there on boxing day and the pub outside the ground (The Pheasant/Peacock?) having ran out of beer the night before and not having anything to serve us.

With that kind of "rivalry" with the crowd trouble etc, plus a few local lads supporting Leeds, i naturally grew to dislike them, but no denying they are a big club with a big following, and i'd certainly rather see the likes of Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wednesday in the top division, rather than any number of "family clubs" (i hate that term, such as Reading, Fulham, etc.

That said, the championship is a great league at the moment, although i grew up with Cov as a 1st division/Premier League side, most of my travelling to away matches was done in the championship, and i'd love to get back there. Maybe a lack of ambition, but got no real desire to see us back in the Premier League. For one, the prices are stupid, it just seems to be a glorified soap opera. Championship would do nicely.