Page 492 of 553 FirstFirst ... 392442482490491492493494502542 ... LastLast
Results 4,911 to 4,920 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    In fact my fondest memory of Highfield Road was a match round about 97-98-99 in the Premier League when we actually lost 3-2 to Leeds in a stunning game with a quite amazing atmosphere from both sets of fans.
    One of my most vivid football memories is the 1987 FA Cup semi final between Leeds and Coventry at Hillsborough. I was there, standing in the Leppings Lane end. Coventry were in the top flight while Leeds were in the old second division and very much the underdogs.

It was a tremendous match with Leeds taking the lead in the first half. With 20 minutes ago they seemed to be coping comfortably with everything Coventry could throw at them. But then the Leeds centre half, Brendon Ormsby tried to shepherd a harmless looking ball out of play. David Bennett nipped in and crossed for Micky Gynn to equalise. Coventry then added another and that seemed to be that. With a few minutes to go however the Leeds substitute Keith Edwards rose to head in a glorious equaliser right in front of us. Cue ecstatic celebrations. A bloke standing next to me tipped his drink over my head and I couldn't care less. The game went into extra time but it was not to be. David Bennett got the winner for Coventry.

Coventry went on to win the FA cup by beating Spurs in the final. Leeds went on to reach the inaugural play-off final but again fell short, losing to Charlton.

1987 was sadly before my time as i was only 5 when we lifted the cup. But the 87 Final was a great end-to-end match (i have it on VHS), and apparently the semi-final with Leeds was even better, although I've not seen the full match. The quarter final at Sheffield Wednesady, again at Hillsborough was also pretty superb. City fans had the Leppings Lane End on this occasion and took a huge following, and a disaster type scenario was narrowly averted a couple of years early. People who were there have said it was decidedly hairy.

We also turned Manchester United over at Old Trafford in the 5th round, after a riotous (off the pitch) 4th round game away to Stoke, so was by no means an easy route to the final.

I must say that Yorkshire is a fantastic place to watch football. Leeds obviously, Sheffield is a great football city, Barnsley is a great away day and very underrated. Even went to York City in the FA Cup when our local non-league team had a giant-killing attempt at toppling York, although the less said about this particular trip the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    1987 was sadly before my time as i was only 5 when we lifted the cup. But the 87 Final was a great end-to-end match (i have it on VHS), and apparently the semi-final with Leeds was even better, although I've not seen the full match. The quarter final at Sheffield Wednesady, again at Hillsborough was also pretty superb. City fans had the Leppings Lane End on this occasion and took a huge following, and a disaster type scenario was narrowly averted a couple of years early. People who were there have said it was decidedly hairy.
    I was 16. I used to go with a mate to Elland Road at the time but I had a season ticket and he didn't. This meant that he couldn't get a ticket for the semi final so I actually went on my own. In retrospect I can't believe my parents allowed it. I remember Coventry beating Sheffield Wednesday in the previous round, 3-1 as I recall. I recollect thinking before our match, this is going to be really tough. You did have a good team.

Your comments are interesting about a potential disaster at the Leppings Lane end because the same thing has been said about the 1987 semi final too. This is from the Yorkshire Post in 1996.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...ster-1-7880063

I was never aware of this at the time. The problem appeared to occur in the central pen, just as it did two years later. I was in the right hand pen and don't remember there being a problem. The article also mentions that 38 people were injured in the Leppings Lane end the last time a semi final had been played in 1981 - between Spurs and Wolves. Lessons were clearly not learned.

It seems strange now to look at photographs with big perimeter fencing caging the fans in. But that seemed normal at the time, we didn't know any different.

I did recall a game involving Wolves which was probably the closest to a disaster, and knew it was in the 80's.... didn't realise it was as early as 81 though.

I go to a fair amount of football in Italy, where the grounds are way behind in terms of facilities and "quality" compared to the premier league (but absolutely streets ahead in terms of character and atmosphere).

Have never been fenced in over there, but even at Serie A grounds such as Bologna and Atalanta there are huge barriers at the front of the stand, and deep moats, to prevent pitch invasions. And one of my abiding memories of the massively high-profile showcase match AC Milan vs Juventus is the Curva Sud being massively overpopulated. Every time someone put a ticket through the automatic turnstiles, about three people without tickets also jumped through. If you go in an Ultra's end in Italy, forget about getting anywhere near your seat, it's just an absolute free-for-all....

Oh my, what's going on at City? Swales out!

Banned
    Noisy neighbours ha ha ha

Not only does it look like Bielsa could take Leeds up at the first attempt, but he may do so with everything you want to see, superb football, youngsters playing like seasoned pros, continuing to attack deep into injury time. If they go up, they could surprise a few top flight clubs with players fannying around on hundreds of thousands a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
    Not only does it look like Bielsa could take Leeds up at the first attempt, but he may do so with everything you want to see, superb football, youngsters playing like seasoned pros, continuing to attack deep into injury time. If they go up, they could surprise a few top flight clubs with players fannying around on hundreds of thousands a week.
    Like Wolves are every week..?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Are man u player's the most un-professional bunch the club has ever had.
    The new manager in summer had better start by buying a load of new players because you can't trust this lot!🤡

How does Vincent Kompany get away with it.
    He doesn't play many matches but in every one that he does play he commits at least one "horror tackle" and gets away without a red card.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog