Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Camping

Wild Camping

Anyone tried wild camping? Is it as much fun as it sounds or is the reality not so much fun?

I really fancy having a go at wild camping, the thought of waking up in silence on a mountain top in the lakes really appeals to me ....... but I do like to be warm and reasonably comfortable. I took my huge duvet camping last weekend which almost filled the hight of the tent, not keen on the idea of having to leave it at home.

Can you get a reasonable amount of warmth and comfort from lightweight gear?

Re: Wild Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Anyone tried wild camping? Is it as much fun as it sounds or is the reality not so much fun?

I really fancy having a go at wild camping, the thought of waking up in silence on a mountain top in the lakes really appeals to me ....... but I do like to be warm and reasonably comfortable. I took my huge duvet camping last weekend which almost filled the hight of the tent, not keen on the idea of having to leave it at home.

Can you get a reasonable amount of warmth and comfort from lightweight gear?
    Only way to find out is to try it. Start in summer, dont walk far and experiment with the gear. Most important thing you will need in UK is a good tent cos it will nearly always rain at some point. As for warmth and comfort, its very subjective. Its never going to be the Ritz, but thats the beauty of it. Take the big duvet if you you have a big enough sack. If you enjoy it get yourself a nice down bag (worth the money).

There are lots of terrific camping spots in the Lakes and Snowdonia. You can camp nearly anywhere (within reason). The best guideline is get above the last wall/fence, with some running water close by.

I love it.

Me and a mate once had a walk up to Priest hole cave near Brothers Water. Basically its a cave that has enough space to sleep in and get some glorious sunrises in the morning.

Unfortunately as we approached we could see that someone had already laid claim to the cave for that night. So rather than impose our selfs. We showed a little bit of cave ettiqate and kipped on the grass slighty lower than the cave.

It was a fantastic night loads of silence and shooting stars.

That was the day before the kentmere horseshoe last year. So after all that walking and looking for empty caves my legs where tired and I had a crap run, but well worth it for the night sleeping on the grass.

Preist hole cave is a fantasitc place, it will be gauranteed to be occuptied at weekends so oyur best bet is to take a day off work and go up in the week.

You'll get a fantastic sunrise, but ssssshhhhh dont tell everyone as it will always be full.

See you at the anni waltz saz, possibly on the friday before for a few pints

Jamie

it's great

It's brilliant. Bivying is even better cos the packs lighter. Running and bivying together is heaven on earth especially if you bed down early and get up really early and run into the dawn

Thats about as much encouragement as I need. Thanks!

Any tips on what to carry would be good, apart from the obvious ..... tent, sleeping bag, camping mat etc. Like what sort of stove, rucksack, do you carry a bladder for water, are packets of dried food best to save space, best type of food and drink that sort of thing?

I suppose its like normal camping, in that there is an initial outlay on the basics, then its just a case of replacing stuff and getting better equipped over time?

I'd start here.... being a fell runner you should be doing it with assuming you will be using the same kit for your next mountain marathon....

http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=681

Assumes you have a bit of money to spend though!

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    It's brilliant. Bivying is even better cos the packs lighter. Running and bivying together is heaven on earth especially if you bed down early and get up really early and run into the dawn
    I like the idea of Bivy bags they must make things a lot easier, but not sure i'd be brave enough for that, the one's with the tripod thing over the head bit don't look too bad though.

I think i'll start looking at getting the basics together over the next couple of months and aim to have a go, July, August time.

macc lad - Am hoping to do a mountain marathon at some point, so the gear will come in useful for that. Might have to wait till next year at the earliest for that though, need improve my strenth & fitness a bit yet

Don't forget - you may end up on private land which may have shooting rights - which means people will be walking around with loaded guns in the dark trying to knobble deer and other animals so be bloody careful where you go and if possible check with a keeper. Two lads nearly got killed on some land round my way when disturbed by German deer stalkers in the early hours of the morning.

"Guns don't kill people
    Bullets do"

Wild camping is great, far better than staying on any site, plus it's free (nb provided you don't get sued!!)
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!