Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foot Bridges

Foot Bridges

We need help finding a group .... TA, Army or other that can build us a couple of foot bridges.... Both Newland bridges are not in use for cars or pedestrians.... they may have been fixed by April but the Council can't guarantee it. So forward planning starts here.
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Re: Foot Bridges

Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    We need help finding a group .... TA, Army or other that can build us a couple of foot bridges.... Both Newland bridges are not in use for cars or pedestrians.... they may have been fixed by April but the Council can't guarantee it. So forward planning starts here.
    How about a local scaffolding company. I'll have a word with someone I know to see how feasible that might be. How wide is the river there? Might be a cost involved though.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    How about a local scaffolding company. I'll have a word with someone I know to see how feasible that might be. How wide is the river there? Might be a cost involved though.
    Thanks Harry. We're doing a recce this weekend - I'll get back to you
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Thanks Harry. We're doing a recce this weekend - I'll get back to you
    Alternatively we could always rig a slackline up.

Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

I found the number of closed bridges - both road and pedestrian - up in the Lakes over new year a bit of a shock I must say. Council obviously struggling to cope with it all - are they getting any central government help for this?

Also though, it did strike me re. a lot of the road bridges, that closing them to pedestrians is probably a total over-reaction.

I dont have any useful suggestions for who might be able to sort a bridge out but I would just like to say that I think most of us appreciate this event so much that we would happily walk along the footpath from the old A66 or cycle round from there via Portinscale and Swinside, which would avoid these bridges either way if you felt this was a solution. (or wade the beck if its not too full, but I appreciate you wont know that until the day)

Any solutions need to bear in mind that it is also the first round of the FRA Junior Championship with another 150 - 200 6 to 18 year old runners, which compounds the logistical problem even more.
    Thinking caps on!
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Any solutions need to bear in mind that it is also the first round of the FRA Junior Championship with another 150 - 200 6 to 18 year old runners, which compounds the logistical problem even more.
    Thinking caps on!
    Can we not build a bridge......there MUST be someone on the forum who has some experience
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Uzzicar (foot)bridge is OK. You can get cars to the normal car park field via Braithwaite and Stair Brow you can get to Uzzicar lane from that field, over the bridge, and a 1/4 - 1/2 mile walk sees you back at the village hall. Be a bit of a traffic nightmare though. Alternatively, if you can arrange parking at Uzzicar?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Can we not build a bridge......there MUST be someone on the forum who has some experience
    Easy as that eh.

Good posative thinking though Tom.

Im presuming these bridges would be a 'short-term' thing mainly for the race, then take down once their done with to let the council do it 'properly'.
    I was just asking incase the brige collapsed a few months down the line and someone would get bamed.

A last resort'er.
    On sollution ive just come up with...it would probably be costly and very time consuming but if everyone helped out it wouldnt take so long.
    A few years ago i worked with someone, reinforcing a banking of a stream. The land was collapsing into th water and the water was under-cutting the bank at the same time.
    We used hessian sacks and filled them with sand and cement which when wet sets as hard a s a rock. To give that little bit of strengh we hammered huge metal pins all the way down to tie them all together.
    For a brige, you could lay a concrete pipe large enough for the amount of water to get though, and then pile the hessian sacks around it.
    Obviously it would take tonnes and tonnes of sand and cement and hundreds of hessian sacks....but i quite enjoyed writing that so i thought i'd put my pennies worth in...i'll go back to my cell now.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 21-01-2010 at 01:05 PM.