Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vanessa Chappell

Vanessa Chappell

The Lamb's Longer Leg race organiser said on Sunday that the Vanessa Chappell race was being resurrected

Does anyone have any details?

Re: Vanessa Chappell

Splendid - hopfully those other great races in that 'neck of the woods' - Boundary Stone Blast and Kettleshulme will follow suit.
    Its better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.

Kettleshulme was great for the last downhill but only when it's anti-cockwise!

Vanessa Chappell Fell Race

Goyt Valley Striders are hoping to resurrect the Vanessa Chappell Fell Race this year and take it back to its original route starting at the Moorside Hotel. We've have got permission from The Moorside Grange Hotel, Lyme Park, Vanessa Chappell's family and Dale Gartley the previous organiser. The provisional date is Wednesday 26th May 2010.

We're just putting the final touches to the arrangements and hope to be able to confirm things very soon. Meanwhile, if the date is currently free in your diary, why not pencil this previously very popular race in.

Route planned is: 5.6M/1317’

Oops! Just spotted this after I posted the following...

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=10378

novice

Vanessa Chappell FR

I notice on the Hayfield site that this race is being organised. Looking at the route map it goes down Higher Lane - is this really correct as I would have thought that this is a really dangerous road to run down as it has no foot paths and is reasonably busy?

Re: Vanessa Chappell Fell Race

Fantastic!
    This is going straight on the "Deffo Do" list
    I train regularly around the Bowstones/Black Hill area (in fact I was out near there last Sunday), so I'll feel right at home
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Re: Vanessa Chappell FR

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    I notice on the Hayfield site that this race is being organised. Looking at the route map it goes down Higher Lane - is this really correct as I would have thought that this is a really dangerous road to run down as it has no foot paths and is reasonably busy?
    The route of Dale's race in the earlier versions used Higher Lane as shown on the map - the road section is right at the start of the race, and, because the runners are all together (having just started) they clear it pretty quickly.

The race does return to Higher Lane at the end, after the descent from Black Rocks, but there is quite a good grass verge at that point for the runnners to use.

It was an excellent race and I'd love to do it again, but unfortunately the new date is too close to the big J and we'll be well on the road to the Isle when this race is on.

Re: Vanessa Chappell Fell Race

Great news - I'll give Dale a nudge about resurrecting Boundary Stone Blast and Kettleshulme as well.
    Its better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.

Re: Vanessa Chappell FR

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post

There are two threads on this now, so hopefully they'll be merged.

In answer to your question the final route hasn't been decided upon yet. The plan is to look at all the options, particularly around the start and finish.

It'll be good to have it back in the calendar though won't it. And there's beer at the Moorside afterwards!