Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back hurts uphill.

Back hurts uphill.

I went on a recce today of the first half of Edale Skyline and going uphill the muscles at the base of my spine in the centre were aching and quite painful. The rest of the time flat and downhill everything fine. Is this because i am carrying a little more timber than i would like and if i lose weight it will stop ?.
    Any help appreciated.

Re: Back hurts uphill.

Do you lean quite far forward?

I found that when i try to walk uphill with some pace my lower back muscles scream at me, but when i straighten up and even run the hill my back isnt under any strain from leaning forward and doesnt kick up a fuss.

Never thought about it but i think i might.

Super Moderator

It's certainly worth experimenting with different walking styles t-m. I struggle if I lean forward and much prefer to stride up hill in an upright position
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by tri-mind View Post
    Never thought about it but i think i might.
    Experiment leaning differently and see what happens.

But i'd have thought - ive no idea what im talking about - the only way to stop it is to keep doing it and strengthening the weak muscles. Good luck.

Thanks guys i am going up there again about 10 am tomorrow and i will see what happens when i experiment. It could turn into the ministry of silly walks whilst ascending from grindsbrook.

Super Moderator

It could turn into the ministry of silly walks whilst ascending from grindsbrook.
    Haha! Enjoy Edale and let us know how you get on matt!

I went on a recce today of the first half of Edale Skyline and going uphill the muscles at the base of my spine in the centre were aching and quite painful. The rest of the time flat and downhill everything fine. Is this because i am carrying a little more timber than i would like and if i lose weight it will stop ?.
    Any help appreciated.
    Matt
    My back used to hurt when I started fellrunning esp on the longs, both at the base and between the shoulder blades. Spoke to a physio friend and she suggested working on my core which I did, I've had only the occ problem since so... have you done any core work, it's also good for descending..

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Matt
    My back used to hurt when I started fellrunning esp on the longs, both at the base and between the shoulder blades. Spoke to a physio friend and she suggested working on my core which I did, I've had only the occ problem since so... have you done any core work, it's also good for descending..
    Ian, we often see core stability excercises mentioned. What are they specifically please?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Ian, we often see core stability excercises mentioned. What are they specifically please?
    Try
    1) Lie on front stretched out, lift alternately left arm and right leg at same time, then right arm and left leg. Repeat 10X for each one.

2) Lie on front with hands on ears (as if you were doing a sit up but you're wrong way up) twist body up keeping one elbow on ground, then repeat on other side, do 10X, then keep lying face down but raise both legs up off the ground 10X

3) Swiss knife. Lie on back with arms stretched out touching floor. Now raise arms and legs trying to touch your toes. Do this 10X

4) Lie on your side, with your hands touching each side of head (as if casually leaning on ground!!). Gently raise hands and legs towards each other but you need to twist body at the same time. (think this would work quite deep muscles) Do 10X on each.

Source 220magazine Aug 2009. Interview with Ain-Alar Juhanson.