Thread: Wanted route near Caton

Wanted route near Caton

I have the opportunity to go to Lancaster tomorrow and was hoping to visit forest of Bowland for first time. Can anyone advise a route 4-5miles from somewhere near Caton, Crossgills area? I am very unfit so would yomp up and jog downs. Dont want to be overwhelmed but would like to feel I had made some effort and got to see some scenery - subject to weather. Thanks

Re: Wanted route near Caton

You could try Clougha Pike. Rigg Lane car park (Grid Ref 527604) is about 10 minutes drive from Caton. There are a couple of routes up Clougha from there

If you decide to do this, go through the gate at the top of the car park and follow the track for about 50 yards. You can take the right fork which takes you onto the path which is the more direct route to the summit of Clougha.

Or you could ignore the fork to the right and follow the path to the left. After 10 - 15 minutes running you will come to a stoney track which is known as the Blue Road. Turn right and follow this uphill. After the track levels out a bit there is a junction whrere the right turning takes you towards the summit

Thanks I'll look at those on the map.

You might find a link to the Caton Moor route from Wray on the web? Or you could try Grit Fell/Clougha from the lazy start much higher up - Jubilee Tower - still taxing enough. The Salter Fell white road from Roeburndale feels quite remote?