Thread: Mount Pantokrator,Corfu.

Mount Pantokrator,Corfu.

Anyone been on holiday near this place ? Just booked a holiday in Nissaki and found out we're at the base of this mountain. Hope to get plenty of running in whilst the girlfriend bathes !

Is there many trails etc in the area ?

Thanks

Re: Mount Pantokrator,Corfu.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    Anyone been on holiday near this place ? Just booked a holiday in Nissaki and found out we're at the base of this mountain. Hope to get plenty of running in whilst the girlfriend bathes !

Is there many trails etc in the area ?

Thanks
    I haven't run much in corfu but have done plenty of other thorny scrub covered hills and the odd mountain in Greece. Firstly watch out for cobwebs and some pretty big scary spiders crossing your path first thing in the morning before the sun's up, secondly I find it best to carry a stick as the local dogs mostly run free and are partial to having a go and thirdly, if you're going high, it can get suprisingly cold. I've run up Kerketeas in Samos (circa 1500 metres) and the temperature was 25 degrees at beach level when I started at about 7 am, was just above freezing at the top but I soon warmed up after that - it 40 degrees when I got back

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I haven't run much in corfu but have done plenty of other thorny scrub covered hills and the odd mountain in Greece. Firstly watch out for cobwebs and some pretty big scary spiders crossing your path first thing in the morning before the sun's up, secondly I find it best to carry a stick as the local dogs mostly run free and are partial to having a go and thirdly, if you're going high, it can get suprisingly cold. I've run up Kerketeas in Samos (circa 1500 metres) and the temperature was 25 degrees at beach level when I started at about 7 am, was just above freezing at the top but I soon warmed up after that - it 40 degrees when I got back
    Thanks for the reply Stolly. The Mountain is only just shy of 3000' so shouldn't be much different to sea level (-6c) all depends on the winds at the top i suppose.
    I've seen a few pics showing a road that goes most of the way up and then turns into a track to the summit.
    The best plan i think will be to hire a mountain bike and check out the area to find some trails.
    They have had snow there recently,glad i'm going at the end of may. Coldest winter they've had in years (that's for another thread mind)

According to Wikipedia there's a cafe at the top.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Surely by it's name you should find Christopher Biggins up there in a crator.