Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Total Immersion Swimming

Re: Total Immersion Swimming

I think i just need to try it....i go swimming every monday and usually tuesday but just do breast-stroke. I think i need to throw in a few lengths of crawl and just try and build up....any buy that book.

Struggling with your breathing is often a symptom of trying too hard! Have a go at slowing your stroke down and gliding more (I breath every 3 arms, on alternate sides). Breath out underwater and in when your head's to the side. Relax. Give it a go.

if learning the crawl, you're probably going to be a really inefficient at first...
    i know I was

thus you need huge amounts of oxygen to the ( usually poorly developed/trained ) muscles for very little forward movement...so you need to breath after every stroke or at max after every two....breath to one side only at first as this is more efficient....only bi lateral breathing for open water/ proficient swimmers

it's a bit like running...totally knackering when you first start....after a while though you can go for miles and miles....as fitter, better technique and more efficient

Good way to just practice swimming is 1 length breast stroke then 1 crawl, really worked with me. Other one is use a pull buoy between your legs, this allows you to float and glide much easier. Really frees up your arms to be able to practice. Good luck with the training.....

Managed to get down the pool and put some of the theory into practise last night.

The difference was unbelievable. It felt effortless.
    Didn't look at the clock or count how many lengths I did but just focussed on 'pushing the bouy', looking down and 'swimming in the front quadrant'.

Did most of the swim with a pull buoy so I could focuss on body position without needing to worry about legs.

I feel cheated that I've be tharshing up and down the pool with a 'traditional' swimming stroke getting nowhere when I could have been doing this all along.
    Why don't all swim teachers use this method?

KS - A total immersion convert.

Quote Originally Posted by kevspider View Post
    Managed to get down the pool and put some of the theory into practise last night.

The difference was unbelievable. It felt effortless.
    Didn't look at the clock or count how many lengths I did but just focussed on 'pushing the bouy', looking down and 'swimming in the front quadrant'.

Did most of the swim with a pull buoy so I could focuss on body position without needing to worry about legs.

I feel cheated that I've be tharshing up and down the pool with a 'traditional' swimming stroke getting nowhere when I could have been doing this all along.
    Why don't all swim teachers use this method?

KS - A total immersion convert.

It was the hip rotation that did it for me Kev.

If you get it right, it transfers through to your upper body and causes it to rock in the way described in the book.

It doesn't come naturally to me Kev. Like you i'd been swimming in a fixed style for years and I really do have to concentrate on the Total Immersion 'Body Rock' style, but bloody hell the results are astonishing.
    Last edited by Danbert Nocurry; 17-02-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kevspider View Post
    just focussed on 'pushing the bouy', looking down and 'swimming in the front quadrant'.
    I know loads about the theory, but I just can't think about more than one thing at once in the pool (or anywhere else).

As soon as I start thinking about elbows, the hands and fee and breathing go all wobbly. And vice versa, ad drowneum.

I'm crap at dancing too. Might they be connected?

Had never heard of this technique but have been so impressed by some of these comments that I went and bought the book on amazon, now eagerly awaiting delivery. Been stuck at about 7m45s for 400m in sprint tris for ages, would love to get faster!!

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    Had never heard of this technique but have been so impressed by some of these comments that I went and bought the book on amazon, now eagerly awaiting delivery. Been stuck at about 7m45s for 400m in sprint tris for ages, would love to get faster!!
    I am still aiming for 7m45s. I think you probably won't get faster - you'll just be less tired when you get out of the pool, and having taken fewer strokes.

I took another minute off my mile time this afternoon and I took it really easy

Up until finding the Total Immersion technique I'd been ‘thrashing’ through a mile, three times a week, each time coming out of the pool feeling absolutely bloody exhausted.

I really wish i'd learnt to swim this way years ago. I even think I might have a go at a triathlon now.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There