Thread: Balaitous in the Pyrenees

Balaitous in the Pyrenees

Long shot but....

I'm going to the Pyrenees in Aug/Sep and fancy doing a 3000m top if I could.

The nearest one to where we're stopping is Balaitous - does anyone have any experience of it? is it walkable/runnable or is it a ( roped or snow/ice) climb that I should stay clear of?

I have an IGN 25k map and the distances from the nearest road head are not bad, maybe an out/back round trip of 14 or 15 miles and 7000ft of ascent BUT I have no idea of the terrain?

Anyone been there (or close by)?

fb
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

Re: Balaitous in the Pyrenees

Wrong end of the Pyrenees for us but from what I know of it it is a climbing Peak.There is a Tour de Balatious but that onlygoes up to just over 2500m. For more detailedinfo check out the Kev Reynolds books writing for Cicerone Press.

You can however run up Vignemale (3298m) which is near Caurerets.

Debbie

www.pyrenees-haven.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post
    Wrong end of the Pyrenees for us but from what I know of it it is a climbing Peak.There is a Tour de Balatious but that onlygoes up to just over 2500m. For more detailedinfo check out the Kev Reynolds books writing for Cicerone Press.

You can however run up Vignemale (3298m) which is near Caurerets.

Debbie
    Thanks Debbie - appreciated. Looks like I'll be checking out Vignemale, then!

fb

Tony Vardy

I've been up Balaitous. Great day out. I did it on my own, running, walking and scrambling.Took about 7 1/2 hours return. I went from the car park to the north and up past the Larribet hut. It isn't that difficult if you can scramble a bit and are confident on unfamiliar ground. I did have to climb a steep patch of snow, up into Col Noir, that made me think, but that was easy on the return. Kev Reynolds, Walks and Climbs in the Pyrenees and le guide rando, Vignemale et Balaitou give routes. The French guide is very good if you can read French. You can buy it in France.

The Petit Vignemale(3032m) is easy but Vignemale(3298m) involves a glacier crossing.

One of the 'easiest' peaks over 3000 is Pic de Taillon(3144m). You can drive a long way up above Gavarnie.

Contact me if you want any other details.

Thanks for this. I'd also got Petit Vignemale from another source (see www.mountainbug.com - seem to be very helpful people!) as well as Le Taillon but they're both a bit of a drive away from where I'm staying. Gonna get the Kev Reynolds book - seen it on ebay for a tenner.

fb

Tony Vardy

Pic d'Arriel is in the same area and might be an option. It is a lot shorter than Balaitous (from memory, which is hazy - early 90s when I was in last the region). Pic Palas also a poss, although I haven't done it. Balaitous is a wonderful mountain though, can be traversed from the Larribet hut as per previous post, up via Col Noir and the Grande Diagonale, down via the Vire Beraldi. More mountaineering in tone though, whereas I remember Pic d'Arriel as just a Crib Goch style scramble.

Put Balaitous on You Tube. Someone has a video of col Noir and a few other bits and pieces. I don't know how to do 'links'.