Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickening descents ...

Quickening descents ...

I've little doubt this has been discussed at some length here in the past, but I'm struggling to identify the last word, so ...

We've all heard about those eyeballs out descents, but sadly I'm simply not that brave. Does the brain's trust have any thoughts on descending for the not-so-brave ... or ways of persuading yourself to be braver.

Tips I've heard in the past include:

1. The only time you're liable to hurt yourself is when you're in contact with the ground - so the fewer steps the better ... (I can see the logic, but that doesn't make me any braver);

2. Zigzag ever so slightly to keep under control;

3. Lean forward and disengage brain ... (see 1. above);

And what about descending on the long long races, BG attempts etc? Think I heard/read a Joss Naylor tip somewhere about always keeping the knees slightly bent on the long ones to reduce stress on the joints - so do people approach descending differently depending on the distances involved too?

Re: Quickening descents ...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFlash View Post
    I've little doubt this has been discussed at some length here in the past, but I'm struggling to identify the last word, so ...

We've all heard about those eyeballs out descents, but sadly I'm simply not that brave. Does the brain's trust have any thoughts on descending for the not-so-brave ... or ways of persuading yourself to be braver.

1. The only time you're liable to hurt yourself is when you're in contact with the ground - so the fewer steps the better ... (I can see the logic, but that doesn't make me any braver);

And what about descending on the long long races, BG attempts etc? Think I heard/read a Joss Naylor tip somewhere about always keeping the knees slightly bent on the long ones to reduce stress on the joints - so do people approach descending differently depending on the distances involved too?
    last time this cropped up, someone suggested shifting your focal point of vision forward a little. I've tried this and I think it has helped - though I'm still a bit of a Jessie on the decents.

i think a lot comes with experience, i know that from many miles on pendle and weets i'm relatively fine on these and similar descents, but big rocks that engage the brain when running in the lakes i'm relatively pants on!

I can't comment on long distance tactics as i'm not an experienced long runner.

As for the rest, zigzagging i find good for very steep hills where you're at the limit of traction and for regaining control of a messy situation. I've started to improve my descending by simply going faster which is easier for me because i get more of a rush out of it the faster i go, i now use descents to make up places as it's becoming a strength where previously it was a weakness.....due to the footwear i was using. What shoes are you using? I started in trail shoes, but when i upgraded to fell shoes my confidence in my ability grew which precipitated a rise in performance. Some people thrive off the danger aspect of sports, because i'm one of them nothing holds me back really only the capacity of my own lungs.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Always keeping your legs bent works well for me - best tip I heard (and this doesn't make sense until you try it) is to try to pick your feet up before they touch the floor.

Fell shoes are a definite bonus, but I think that confidence in your footing and light steps are much more important on anything other than mud.

Riding a mountain bike down some big descents helps too, as you have to do the looking ahead thing to get any kind of decent speed on a bike.

I wear Walshes for shorter races, Sportiva for longer ones - and whilst I'm reasonably OK on more gradual descents, it's the rougher steeper ones that really find me out I think.

I'll definitely try the light steps and shift in field of vision though, pending other suggestions. thanks all.

The first time i did a fell race and came to my first big descent (off shutlingsloe at 'the roaches')...i didnt know what the hell to do...i hesitated and event ually stepped over the edge....i fell straight away and smashed my knee on a rock (fell running scar number 1)...i was bloody flying down this hill....felt like a run-away train.

As has been said...it just takes practice.....i look forward to the descents and try and get down them as fast as possible. It often helps when you've got someone to chase and it makes you go faster.

Its easy saying it, but you havent to think of how mangled you will be if you fall.....by the time its gone through your head what might happen you'll have tripped and you'll be needing the help from the guys in red.

I put my trust in the grip my x-talons give me...9/10 they grip like hell and i can fly....if i start slipping i back off.

If you want a fast descent....the fastest ive gone down so far in on the three shires fell race in the lakes, dropping down to the three shires stone......that has to be my most idiotic descent to date...if i had of slipped i'd be in plaster...but i didnt and i gained about 10 places doing so...just ask Stanners.

So...to summaries.....just fling yourself off...
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 02-02-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Think I heard/read a Joss Naylor tip somewhere about always keeping the knees slightly bent on the long ones to reduce stress on the joints - so do people approach descending differently depending on the distances involved too?
    (can't sleep, grr)

yes I do

the Joss Naylor tip I'd not heard but it makes total sense, if you watch film of Joss doing one of his long-distance things you'll see it, his upper body doesn't move much at all.

I've probably unconsciously mimicked it cos I've found myself doing it quite naturally on longer, slower runs: a sort of riverdancey running-from-the-knees-down with not much hip motion, with the feeling of skipping across the ground lightly

but that's different to being in a race when you just go for it - even if it's a long race you're likely to take the downs almost as quick as you can.

Then I think a big factor is how strong your quads are. I really suffer in the latter stages of long races when my descending slows right up, e.g., lost about 6 places coming off Dale Head at Borrowdale. But that's cos I don't get in the hills enough.

But I'm much better than I was. Getting a pair of studded shoes and trying to plant forefoot first with knees slightly bent are things that have worked for me: and just keeping the legs moving quickly, as daft as that sounds - it's tempting to let gravity take over, but I find keeping the running stride going gives more control.

I'd say I'm middling at it - I like rocky descents more than muddy / grassy.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 02-02-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Ian Holmes is a master of descending and he doesn't seem to lean forward at all. If you could sum up what he looks like relative to the others, it's relaxed and he moves his legs more quickly.

I agree with the other posters, you get good at what you practice. I'm OK on tussocky moorland descents, but rubbish on lakes boulder and scree descents.

Also, you need to have enough energy to descend well. If you know you're crap at descending, it becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy as you try harder on the uphill sections. This means you're too knackered when you get to the descents and you then descend badly.

Its hard to do, but it does work if you look ahead and not at the ground, look at where you are going and the legs will follow.

Having said that, since I fell going downhill at full pelt, my speed going downhill has been reduced massively, I know its just a battle with my brain now to get that speed back, and I'm working on it