Thread: Jump Lunges and DOMS

Jump Lunges and DOMS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLTDUFjbXA

I saw these mentioned on the 10'000ft ascent thread and gave them a go the other night. Now, I should point out that I've never done any sort of plyometric work before, and I did these after three sets of barbell split squats, but:

Did three sets of these for about 20-30 secs each. I'd run that morning, and the next morning fine (felt a bit stiff but ok). The second day after this session (today) I've a horrendous case of DOMS, I can barely move! The fact that the resulting DOMS feels exactly the same as the day after doing an AL would suggest it's pretty good conditioning for fell runners.

Question is - does anyone do these regularly? Does the body adapt or am I going to hurt this much every time I do a session like this? Is it normal?

Re: Jump Lunges and DOMS

Not altogether sure what DOMS is / are, but if you mean sore backside muscles, the jump lunges do most certainly cause that yes!

Ah, DOMS= Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Can't see the vid. Are these where you start in the lunge position and instead of just standing back upright, you push and jump sraight up, then land in the lunge position but with the legs swapped over (e.g. start left leg forward, land right leg forward)?

I include these in the circuits I do from time to time. Started reintroducing more plyometric work recently and yes they do kill! Been stopping in hotels a bit recently and make the most of it by hitting the gyms pretty hard (1hr each morning, 2-3hrs each evening), mixing weights with circuits involving plyometric stuff. By the end of the week, walking is a major struggle! Love it.

When done in moderation(), the body does get used to it, and you can slowly build up to doing more. A good warm up and stretch afterwards though is important.

Other good ones to try include:
    1) Setting a step/box up to medium height and jumping from one side to the other in a continuous motion, feet together.
    2) Using a horizontal weights bench, feet together, jump on to it and jump back to the ground. Again, get a continuous motion going (i.e. no resting on the floor, spring srraight back up to the bench)
    3) There's also my patent pending Burpee Challenge...?
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 05-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Can't see the vid. Are these where you start in the lunge position and instead of just standing back upright, you push and jump sraight up, then land in the lunge position but with the legs swapped over (e.g. start left leg forward, land right leg forward)?
    exactly

Ah, DOMS= Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness
    ah well yes then: had the very thing this week after doing a session of squats and lunges with weights - not too bad the day after but bloody sore on day 2!

I do sets of these with 4kg in each hand, fantastic for getting your glutes firing. I'm well over the soreness period though.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent