Thread: Colliewobbles

Colliewobbles

Any border collie owners care to share there tips for feeding one of these dogs?

We recently acquired an 8-9 month old border collie from our local SSPCA rescue centre and after a rather fraught first week, he's settling down very well. One problem we have related to his bowels, they're windy and loose.

I suspect it's just down to the variety of dog food we have at the moment (he's been checked over by our vet and wormed) but I'd appreciate hearing from other collie owners about what, how much and how often is appropriate to feed a very active dog of this type & age.

Re: Colliewobbles

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    Any border collie owners care to share there tips for feeding one of these dogs?

what, how much and how often is appropriate to feed a very active dog of this type & age.
    are you feeding him the same food as the SSPCA ? or introducing a new food slowly (over 1 - 2 weeks) ?. it may be a sign of a stress at being in a new environment..or any number of other things that collies can get upset at

we have two collies (oh joy) one a three year old and the other one year old..both are very active. we feed them IAMS complete in warm water...see

http://www.iams.co.uk/dog/Adult-Smal...hicken-44.html

we feed twice a day as instructed and haven't had a problem at all. if the dogs do a long run then we feed them a bit extra

if it continues....go to the vet

hope this helps

You're right in your supposition that he's not getting the same diet as he had in the SSPCA. Maybe it'll just take him a little time to adapt to his new diet. Having looked at the price of the stuff he had in the SSPCA I'm not sure he'll ever go back on his original diet!

Perhaps I'm just tight fisted but our dogs have always had our leftovers in addition to their own supermarket dog food which I hope deals with any potential deficiencies in their diet.

I'm not too worried about him as he's full of beans (maybe that's the problem! ) and is putting on a little weight (he's very lean at present).

Thanks for your feedback.

Ours have WAGG, just dried Kibble with few/no colourings in, and there gut seem solid, apart from being shit factories..

Most have ours have had tummy issues on canned dog food. the dried has always been taken best

We feed ours a bowl of the kibble every night, but for breakfast they always have porridge. If we're doing a big run then we'll take more kibble for them on the run, or feed our tit bits.

Ours also love veg, brocoli stems especially..and Fly loves Asparagus tips..

Iain (on wifes comp)

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Ours have WAGG, just dried Kibble with few/no colourings in, and there gut seem solid, apart from being shit factories..

Most have ours have had tummy issues on canned dog food. the dried has always been taken best

We feed ours a bowl of the kibble every night, but for breakfast they always have porridge. If we're doing a big run then we'll take more kibble for them on the run, or feed our tit bits.

Iain (on wifes comp)
    Asparagus tips??? Heck, even IAMS would be cheaper than that!

Actually, I've realised that part (or perhaps even all) of the problem might be caused by the titbits we're using for training (small slices of spicy sausage).

I'll try him with some cat crunchies as treats and see if things settle down.

that will be the WAGG....full of S**T

Iain (on wifes comp)
    so do ours...but the wind...well its just terrible

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    Asparagus tips??? Heck, even IAMS would be cheaper than that!
    we thought IAMS was pricey at first....but when you see how far a bag goes..especialy with a few tit-bits added..it does become cost effective..plus not a lot of clearing up afterwards if you see what i mean

at the end of the day...nearly all dogs are different and it may take some time to sort yours out..good luck

Hopefully you've found a diet that produces the desired result (??!!) by now. We've used James Wellbeloved dry foods for our collie for 7 years. It comes in big sacks (as well as smaller ones) so is good VFM and several varieties to keep up some level of interest. Keep the diet simple and extra titbits (cheese, sausage,etc) to a mimimum and you should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Hopefully you've found a diet that produces the desired result (??!!) by now. We've used James Wellbeloved dry foods for our collie for 7 years. It comes in big sacks (as well as smaller ones) so is good VFM and several varieties to keep up some level of interest. Keep the diet simple and extra titbits (cheese, sausage,etc) to a mimimum and you should be OK.
    The first change in his food didn't seem to make much difference so we took him to the vet who put him on a course of Flagyl (metronidazole).

This did seem to stop his squitters but they're recurred since coming off the pills. I've bought him some fancier food (more protein, no cereals or other possible gut irritants) and we'll see how he gets on with it.

He's been voraciously hungry and I'm wonder if he's got a touch of coeliac like disease from something in his old food hence my trying a cereal free one.

Fingers crossed this does the trick.

Burns and Arden Grange are both really good dry foods especially for dogs with sensitive tummies. Our dog has sampled EVERYTHING dry food line sounds like she is similar with probs to yours but Burns and Arden grange are both fine.