Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BGR reccying w/out car

BGR reccying w/out car

Strikes me if you're on your own and want to reccy whole BGR legs, a car could be a hindrance. I'm talking CW 2, 3 and 4 here.

This got me to thinking that I might either figure out bus return journeys - or stay the night at the far end, i.e., start Keswick/Threlkeld, stay night near Dunmail; start Dunmail, stay night at Wasdale, etc.

It would obviously mean carrying a rucksack with minimal gear for an overnight pub/YHA stay, but I'd've thought reccying with a rucksack on your back is damned good training.

Aiming eventually to do 3 and 4 in one go?

anyone else done it this way?

Re: BGR reccying w/out car

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Strikes me if you're on your own and want to reccy whole BGR legs, a car could be a hindrance. I'm talking CW 2, 3 and 4 here.

This got me to thinking that I might either figure out bus return journeys - or stay the night at the far end, i.e., start Keswick/Threlkeld, stay night near Dunmail; start Dunmail, stay night at Wasdale, etc.

It would obviously mean carrying a rucksack with minimal gear for an overnight pub/YHA stay, but I'd've thought reccying with a rucksack on your back is damned good training.

Aiming eventually to do 3 and 4 in one go?

anyone else done it this way?
    I wouldn't say its a hindrance but it is easy to recce without a car.

Leg 1 CW run back to Keswick along the old railway line.

Leg 2 Bus to Threlkeld then either do leg 2 then reverse it missing out the tops or get the bus back from Dunmail.

Leg 3 Bus to Dunmail then from Wasdale back over Styhead to get the bus from Seatoller.

Leg 4 Bus to Honister, Moses trod into Wasdale back to Honister then either Bus here and drop down to more regular bus from Seatoller or do last leg back to Keswick.
    Alternative start is bus to Seatoller and over Styhead to Wasdale.

Leg 5 Bus to Honister
    Bill

good stuff bill, ta

was thinking that when I get to the stage of combining a couple of legs into long days (2 and 3, or 3 and 4), I might be too late for buses and then will have to hole up somewhere instead.

Put your faith in your thumb.

Hitching has got me out of some spots in the past.

I'm planning on a doing a full recce over 2 to 3 days carrying tent, food, s-bag, ration packs the lot towards the arse end of the year.

Good practice as I'm intending to do the full thing carrying everything with me, no pit-stops.

Quote Originally Posted by kevspider View Post
    Put your faith in your thumb.

Hitching has got me out of some spots in the past.
    you're absolutely right Kev, me too - keep forgetting about that!

Agree with Bill's comments. I'd put stuff up about this some time ago here: http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bgr_training_logistics.php .

Hitching isn't too bad - though I tend to park up at the end of the leg and hitch to the start so that I'm not smelling too much in someone's car who might not expect it!

There are some buses that help - Dunmail to Keswick and Keswick to Threlkeld for example.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    good stuff bill, ta

was thinking that when I get to the stage of combining a couple of legs into long days (2 and 3, or 3 and 4), I might be too late for buses and then will have to hole up somewhere instead.
    You could always save those days for when you're supporting some one ie be on proper support on leg 2 then be an extra body on the next leg.

Once you have recced the legs though no need to link them why not have a big day out on different hills thats easier transport wise.

Most of my big days out for the Paddy was done in Scotland
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    You could always save those days for when you're supporting some one ie be on proper support on leg 2 then be an extra body on the next leg.

Once you have recced the legs though no need to link them why not have a big day out on different hills thats easier transport wise.

Most of my big days out for the Paddy was done in Scotland
    point taken

I think I was thinking that as I'd be doing most of my long weekend hill work in the Lakes anyway, it may as well be around the BG route - and that sticking two big legs together - even three with a small one - would be a confidence booster

but as you say I could do that supporting
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 21-01-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    I'm planning on a doing a full recce over 2 to 3 days carrying tent, food, s-bag, ration packs the lot towards the arse end of the year.

Good practice as I'm intending to do the full thing carrying everything with me, no pit-stops.
    You'll need to do some good recceing of water sources to make this work, I know it has been done, good work if you do it. Just remember thought it won't make you a memeber of the club as you have no witnesses