Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Coniston Fell Race

Graeme

Coniston Fell Race

OK, I've entered the coniston fell race, is navigating difficult or is it a fairfield horseshoe kind of follow your nose kind of thing. Any tips or hints would be welcome.

Re: Coniston Fell Race

Dunno, but Ive enetered it also

See you there

When is it?

Just realised it's the same day as Belmont Winter Hill.

I'll be running that.

Why I didn't look at my calendar before posting I don't know.

Ive also entered the buttermere sailbeck.

Only ever been to buttermere at night.

Im gonna race/plod myself back to fitness

Sorry to go off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    OK, I've entered the coniston fell race, is navigating difficult or is it a fairfield horseshoe kind of follow your nose kind of thing. Any tips or hints would be welcome.
    Up onto Wetherlam is a follow the leader sort of thing. But in mist you can end up taking a longer, slower, tourist path route up to summit. Even in good weather there are short-cuts that aren't obvious - much like Rydal Round/Fairfield.

From Wetherlam, in mist, it can be difficult getting off the summit - take a bearing. Up to Swirl How and off is easy. From Swirl How to skirt Brim Fell in good weather is easy - I think. But make sure you don't go up and over Brim Fell - uneccesary. I followed someone and was tired and took a longer route. I have heard of folk heading down to Seathwaite tarn in mist...

From Old Man to finish - don't ask me. The guy ahead disappeared over the top. When I got there I was asking tourists left, right and centre whether they'd seen runners. When I got to the point where someone said, "wow you're first", I realise the others hadn't gone that part of the tourist route down! You cut off to the right as you head off the summit - but best to reccie it. You may be on your own at this point, and really dont want to go wrong...

Hope this helps.
    Why walk when you can run.

david

After Swirl How, don't head for Dow Crag. It's an easy mistake to make as it's a much more obvious summit than the Old Man.

Yes, the descent off the summit of the Old man is a classic conumdrum. If you can't recce it, make sure your following the right person who will go straight over the top. Not obvious, certainly not in the clag. Otherwise, down the tourist route but it is a couple of minutes slower.

Graeme

Cheers, I'll bear that in mind, I'm going to check it out on Sunday, hopefully.

Fellhound

I have a line off the Old Man that ALWAYS gains me time (ever since Graham Eccles showed it to me in the 80s). It's not as described above either

Tourist path a couple of minutes slower? Aye, it is if you follow the path ALL the way.