Thread: Bgr Recce Advice

Bgr Recce Advice

hI

I was going to do an anticlockwise recce at the end of Feb, by parking at Keswick, running to Honister then Wasdale, camping at Wasdale Head, then running to Dunmail the next day and busing back up to Keswick, but the thought of carrying a 4 season sleeping bag, a tent, plus warm kit etc meant a 40 litre bag and obviously a much slower pace, and a possibly of snow, so have opted with my mate to drive to Wasdale, park up and run to Honister then follow the BGR back to Wasdale, return to the car, eat at the Wasdale Head,camp, then the next day run to Dunmail and return back to Wasdale and the car, my question is, which way would you go to Honister? I know a few options, including following the bgr clockwise then anti-clockwise back to Wasdale, or over to styhead tarn etc
    and also the quickest route back from Dunmail to Wasdale. I know I can see plenty of routes on the map I could do, and know the area reasonably well
    any suggestions please?

Re: Bgr Recce Advice

Quickest way is up Gavel Neese to Beck Head between Kirkfell and Great Gable. Then follow Moses Trod to the top of the quarry incline above Honister and down this.

To get back from Dunmail - I wouldn't drop down to Dunmail from Steel Fell but would head back to Greenup Edge and follow the Old Counties Tops route to Esk Hause then down to Styhead Tarn and then down into Wasdale. It'll be a big day out mind.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Cheers Bob

Hi Guys
    Whats the best way to come off Yewbarrow on the BGR?
    And the best way up Scafel? on an anticlockwise do you descend Broad Stand? Ive climbed it a few times but never descended it
    any ideas anyone?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Hi Guys
    Whats the best way to come off Yewbarrow on the BGR?
    And the best way up Scafel? on an anticlockwise do you descend Broad Stand? Ive climbed it a few times but never descended it
    any ideas anyone?
    cheers
    From the cairn start descendind at about 120 degrees, to avoid boulder fields near the top of the stream (see map). Then turn south (you might find trods and small cairns) and pick best line on east side of stream. Climb field wall where it makes a 'Z' (double corner) then trough gate behinde gorse bushes.
    Follow path past Brackenclose and ascend to stile on right of stream at NY 187068. Follow path to top of stream and then across grassy hill side to pick up the scree path leading to the summit.
    In all my BG rounds (my own and supports) I have always gone clockwise and free-climbed Broad Stand. I have descended in dry weather (not on BG) but cannot advise you whether it is wise to arrive there and risk injury if the rock is slippery. Perhaps someone else knows better.
    Yiannis

Many thanks Yiannis

cheers
    Ronin

Broad Stand
    Down climbing anywhere is slow and always a bit risky.
    Descending the rocky steppyness of the descent to Broad Stand will be slow, let alone and BS itself.
    I think most people going A/C go via Fox's Tarn because of this, plus whatever the weather you know exactly what your plan is and you can just get on with it.
    If you do this there is a climber's trod that cuts left away from the gill before it turns into a ravine, you need to recce this and learn the trod
    Otherwise, if you go all the way down the ravine you will be v.slow).
    Last summer when I was supporting there was a cairn marking the start of the trod.

Personal opinion on your two day recce plans is that its a bit ambitious for February. The probability is that you'll get very cold and very wet weather, which will drain you significantly more that you might anticipate.
    Last March I did a 7 hour recce with Steve Birkinshaw from Seathwaite to Gt. End, over the Scafells and onto leg 4 (C/W) there was snow on the ground, rain in the air and a strong wind. Because of the conditions and very real risk of hypothermia (never mind being literally being knocked off our feet by the wind) We bailed out at Black Sail, cutting round to Moses Trod and down to Rosthwaite. We both reckon it took a couple of weeks to recover because of the cold.
    I'd advise keep it to a day at this time of year and make sure you have options to cut short and not be stuck.
    I think Seathwaite / Honister makes a good starting pioint for this with lots of options to take in significant sections of the route.

Cheers Andy

Will take it on board!
    May look at cutting the Wasdale-Dunmail section short (depending on conditions) and turn back to Wasdale after Rosset Pike.