Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings From Wakefield

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Greetings From Wakefield

Hello to all the members on here.

The names Richard Thackeray*, & I'm a member of Featherstone Road Club
    http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/news.php

Yes!, I'm a cyclist by background, & compete in all the runs I do in the Club colours/in their name.

So Why have I joined this forum?
    I think I saw it as a link on the Bingley Harriers forum, whilst I was preparing for their 2009 edition of the 'Harriers verses Cyclists' & it looked to be very interesting and informative reading .

Now the boring bits, stay awake at the back there!!
    So, where was I?, ah yes!!

Many years ago when I was young & foolish (now older & still foolish), I think I first joined 'FRC' back in about 1990(?), as back then I used to ride and race (not very successfully) Mountain Bikes & Cyclo-Cross.
    I had a brief flirtation with road-racing, but by my own admission, wasn't overly keen on it.

Then due to various reasons, I packed in the racing in about 1996, but still rode a bit for a while, before stopping

Then about 2000/2001, I decided to try & get fit again.
    Well, it was a friendly wager with someone at work, who was losing weight to run Marathons.

I got one of my bikes out again & started (in 3 months, I lost roughly 3stone, going from 12 to 9!!)
    Sadly that all went' by-the-by' again after a couple of years (mainly due to 'small-child' appearing on the scene & work)

However, I got the same feeling again just around Easter 2007 (getting to be a theme to this???), thus the bike came out again

Then, come September 2007 (after gaining some initial fitness back & losing enough weight - now at just over 10stone), I bought another mountain bike (Trek 6000Disc) and entered the 'Silcoates Scramble' (my first cyclo-cross for 11 years, remember!?)

It was a hot day & grim.............
    Still, I finished it and thus returned to competative cycling
    The placings for that inaugural event??
    54th/69 (overall)
    39th/43 (Vet 40's) :?

Obviously, placings have improved since then. just
    I've been riding Cyclo-Cross again even since that inauspicious return, but with a 'proper' cross-bike again (bought not long after that 'Silcoates' event)

'For The Record'
    (you can all turn off & go to sleep now...)
    I'm 44, work for the NHS (for the 'Mid Yorkshire NHS Trust')
    I'm married to Joanne - who is a Nurse (by training) - but now is a 'Director in Health Provision Facility Design'.
    We have one daughter, Amelia, who is almost 9.

As for my running background??
    Well, there's not a lot to tell really

Joanne had 'got it into her head' that she was running (speed-walking/jogging) the London Marathon, & had a place for the 2008 event
    She'd got up to 15 miles in training, staring the week after the 2007 event (in case she got an entry), but was getting fed-up of walking alone.

So............ 'muggins' said he'd buy some some shoes & come out with her - starting slowly, after all I was race-fit & knocking out 60-80 mile rides on the bike by that time

I suffered.......... greatly, at first, I couldn't even manage 1/2 a mile without stopping.
    My original intent on starting was to be able to 'run' to to work, or my parents house, (both are equidistant) which was 4 miles in under 40 minutes

Without dwelling on the times/pain, I now hover at a 'summer PB' of 28:45 (in shorts/t-shirt), & a 'winter PB' of 28:56 (thermal jacket & 'Tracksters') - which I'm reasonably happy with.

By that time, Joanne was telling me I was good enough to compete, not that I wanted to (but I was curious....)

My first event was the 'Darrington 5-Mile', held in support of the 'Village Feast' on Saturday 21st June 2008
    I finished in 36:53, which gave me a placing of 30th/152 finishers.
    I was very happy with that for a 'virgin' run

Next was the '2008 Prince Of Wales Hospice 10K'
    That wasn't as good a placing 'pro-rata', I finished in 45:18, and in 80th/268

Another 10K was the '2009 Wakefield City 10K; 44:46 (255th/1182)

Somehow, I got talked into a half-marathon.
    Well - I talked myself into it, simply because of its location/uniqueness
    It was the 'Cross-Bay Challenge', which started at Flookburgh (Cumbria), & headed over the sands of Morecambe Bay to Hest Bank (Morecambe)

I was told I was barmy for selecting it as a 'first half', as it was tough!

http://www.crossbayrun.org.uk/index.htm
    I'd spent a lot of time in Morecambe as a kid, & had always wanted to do the guided walks onto the sands but my parents would never go on the walks

So, it 'killed two birds with one stone'
    Sadly the river crossing (Kent channel, 300 yards wide, & crotch-deep!!), took a lot of time off me, as did the 25MPH head-wind for the last 6 miles

Still, I clocked up a (I'm given to understand) fairly respectable 1.42:52 (51st/237)

I guess I've kept up the running as 'cross-training' for the Cyclo-Cross, & to save money (being a 'parsimonious Yorkshireman', & not buy diesel simply for travelling to work & back(

Other interests; (just in case anyone else shares them, or indeed has managed to read this far!)
    Land Rovers (on my 5th now)
    TVR's (almost bought a Cerbera, instead of the 110 I own)
    Art-Deco (architecture in particular)
    Heavy-Haulage
    Industrial Heritage/Architecture
    Railways
    American 'Muscle Cars'
    World Rally Championship
    Gretsch guitars (sadly I'm not allowed to have one)
    The 'usual ones' too.... music/books (varied tastes, but know what I like)

I'm sorry to waffle on, but thought it best to give what may be relevant information in one go?

My limited 'Cross-Country'/'Fell-Running' will be covered in 'Part 2' of this (elongated) introduction
    (if anyone's still interested, that is?)

*No, for those 'in the know'
    I'm not the (Bradford Olympic) Richard who was a regular member of the Great Britain Cyclo-Cross squad throughout the 90's & early 00's

Although I do know Richard, his brother (Robert), Phil & Nora (parents) very well

This did used to cause much confusion years ago, especially when I used to race Mountain Bikes, as I also rode a Pace Research at that time (he was sponsored by the Pace factory at Haworth!)

Robert runs fell-races now, under (I think?) the colours of Bradford Triathlon Club, Richard also 'dabbles'
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 16-02-2010 at 06:08 PM.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Greetings From Wakefield

You're thorough, I'll give you that!

Welcome to the forum, I'll catch up with Pt.II after the gym.
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 16-02-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Wrong your/you're. Shocking oversight.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Wheres part two then?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Wheres part two then?
    he's still typing it Al

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    he's still typing it Al

Theres no way he could top Part 1, thats the longest post ive ever seen!

Thanks chaps, not sure what to think to your kind words

Okay, perhaps I am a bit long-winded, or as I much prefer to phrase it..... thorough.

Part 2
    The 'Cross-Country'/'Fell-Running' section

My introduction to the XC world was the Bingley Harriers organised 'Harriers verses Cyclists' (6 miles/650feet)

http://www.bingleyharriers.co.uk/htm...clists/hvc.htm

I guess its not acknowledged as a proper fell-race, but simply a decent XC?
    I rode the 2007, & 2008 events, making the mistake of using my MTB

It was fine in the mud (disc-brakes work!), but too heavy/awkward to carry, & I didn't post good times (circa 54:15)

Having enjoyed the 'HvC', a neighbour told me about the 'Penistone Footpath Runners & AC' organised 'Trunces' (a series undoubtedly familiar to the Yorkshire/Derbyshire runners), as his daughters ran the junior series

I'll admit I'd not heard of them before, till Dave told me about them. My daughter used to horse-ride on a Mionday, so I could never get there - till she stopped in mid 2009

I started my first one (round 6) at the back of the pack, in 'road shoes' & slithered everywhere, & finished in 37:04
    The next day I bought some 'Mizuno Wave-Harrier' 2 shoes.............and started on the front couple of rows next time out

By the end of the season, I was at 32:12, & completed the season overall at (Vet 40-45) 29th/237
    Not bad for a beginner

Now in the 2010 series, I want to hit 30:00

Returning to the 'Harriers verses Cyclists'
    I decided to try running the 2009 event, & really enjoyed it, despite the grotty weather, & finished in 48:12 (66th/129)

So, on the back of that, I looked for something a bit more challenging, without being too silly for a complete novice (to fell-running)

This years 'Stanbury Splash' came into my line of sight

I'll freely admit it was an eye-opener, especially that first really steep climb/'hands & knees scramble'

Although, having said that, I think I enjoyed it.
    But, with not knowing the course, it was awkward in respect of not knowing where to run faster/preserve energy in case it went up hill again.

Anyway, I was happy to finish it, even though I did take 1.03:09, 154th/298 (almost 20 minutes slower than my 10K 'PB, but due to the terrain, that's fine!)

So, now I'm waiting for Sunday in order to be stood on the start-line of the Ilkley Moor Fell-Race

If you pass/trip-over/are passed by (unlikey!) the shirt shown in the attachment, say "Hello!"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    Thanks chaps, not sure what to think to your kind words

Okay, perhaps I am a bit long-winded, or as I much prefer to phrase it..... thorough.

Part 2
    The 'Cross-Country'/'Fell-Running' section

My introduction to the XC world was the Bingley Harriers organised 'Harriers verses Cyclists' (6 miles/650feet)

http://www.bingleyharriers.co.uk/htm...clists/hvc.htm

I guess its not acknowledged as a proper fell-race, but simply a decent XC?
    I rode the 2007, & 2008 events, making the mistake of using my MTB

It was fine in the mud (disc-brakes work!), but too heavy/awkward to carry, & I didn't post good times (circa 54:15)

Having enjoyed the 'HvC', a neighbour told me about the 'Penistone Footpath Runners & AC' organised 'Trunces' (a series undoubtedly familiar to the Yorkshire/Derbyshire runners), as his daughters ran the junior series

I'll admit I'd not heard of them before, till Dave told me about them. My daughter used to horse-ride on a Mionday, so I could never get there - till she stopped in mid 2009

I started my first one (round 6) at the back of the pack, in 'road shoes' & slithered everywhere, & finished in 37:04
    The next day I bought some 'Mizuno Wave-Harrier' 2 shoes.............and started on the front couple of rows next time out

By the end of the season, I was at 32:12, & completed the season overall at (Vet 40-45) 29th/237
    Not bad for a beginner

Returning to the 'Harriers verses Cyclists'
    I decided to try running the 2009 event, & really enjoyed it, despite the grotty weather, & finished in 48:12 (66th/129)

So, on the back of that, I looked for something a bit more challenging, without being too silly for a complete novice (to fell-running)

This years 'Stanbury Splash' came into my line of sight

I'll freely admit it was an eye-opener, especially that first really steep climb/'hands & knees scramble'

Although, having said that, I think I enjoyed it.
    But, with not knowing the course, it was awkward in respect of not knowing where to run faster/preserve energy in case it went up hill again.

Anyway, I was happy to finish it, even though I did take 1.03:09, 154th/298 (almost 20 minutes slower than my 10K 'PB, but due to the terrain, that's fine!)

So, now I'm waiting for Sunday in order to be stood on the start-line of the Ilkley Moor Fell-Race

If you pass/trip-over/are passed by (unlikey!) the shirt shown in the attachment, say "Hello!"
    Il make sure to say hello.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Not bad for a beginner

30.00 minutes is certainly the benchmark for the Trunce, run by Plumbum off the forum when he's not pulling pints

I'm there most races as its only 5 miles away.

were you there for the wet race this year best fun I've had in ages

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    were you there for the wet race this year best fun I've had in ages

No, my first one was the next one (number 6)

I realise knocking 2 minutes off the 'Trunce' will take some doing, but I've already knocked almost 5 minutes off from my first one

Race 6 = 37:04
    Race 7= 32:56
    Race 8 = 32:39
    Race 9 =32:12

No, my first one was the next one (number 6)

I realise knocking 2 minutes off the 'Trunce' will take some doing, but I've already knocked almost 5 minutes off from my first one

Race 6 = 37:04
    Race 7= 32:56
    Race 8 = 32:39
    Race 9 =32:12
    you may have to wait for race 3 or 4, the ground can be a bit heavy going early in the season