Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greetings From Wakefield

Re: Greetings From Wakefield

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    It's a nice historic city with some wonderful buildings, & countryside, but far too scruffy (rubbish blowing about the streets)
    '
    They've knocked most of the best buildings down, market is crap and Bull Ring is a mess Council haven't a clue

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    i live wakefield way, do quite a few races/mm and try and book time out (from family) for a run in the dales or down to dark peak area, im not much into running on the roads though. I do a bit of biking but im not a roady i have a mtb, altho dont use it off road though. if you fancy a run round somewhere let mw know, langset barn and the mickleden straddle route is only 25-30 mins from wakefield and a good run out or theres variations, im not quick though
    Thanks for that.

I too have a MTB, but hardly use it, they're too slow/'draggy' on roads (even with the 1.5" tyres I use)
    I'll definately bear you in mind for the runs (been out around Warmfield/Kirkthorpe/Heath bridleways, Half-Moon, & 'Blue-Bridge', then up through the NewLands estate this afternoon

Road running??, most of mine is to work & back, but I'll be running the 'Hospice 10K' on Sunday 28th March.
    Then it's the 'Trunce' on Monday 29th

Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    They've knocked most of the best buildings down, market is crap and Bull Ring is a mess Council haven't a clue
    Got to agree with you there.

The Market building is appalling, & definately going to desperately 'tired & jaded' in 10 years time

The Bull-Ring has already suffered innumerable times from 'fools with Fairy Liquid', & we've seen quite a few drunks who are soaked to the skin, after slipping (sorry... 'P, & F-O') on the flag-stones.

The supposed 'Trinity Walk' venture still looks like a ghsost-town despite it allegedly being re-started.

That totally obnoxious looking 'tile-warehouse' at the junction of WestGate/Drury Lane, is utterly at odds with the Opera House & (Carnegie) Library

And, as for the 'white elephant' that will be the Hepworth Gallery...................

On The Plus Side; (click on pic to open/enlarge)
    We have the gorgeous Chantry Bridge Chapel, one of only 4 bridge-chapels remaining in the country (2 are in Yorkshire, our other is in Rotherham, South Yorkshire)
    Whatever happened to the previous frontage that was at Kettlethorpe Hall, on the side of the 'pond'?

The Town Hall, & County Hall, are reminders of when Wakefield was essentially the administrative centre of the West Riding

The Elizabethan Gallery is the original Grammar School, & a gem

The Aquaduct that carries the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal over the River Calder at 'Stanley Ferry'

The Cathedral. Yorkshires tallest spire, at 247 feet, & the 4th tallest in England

Nostell Priory, & its Chippendale collection

Ackworth, & its 'obelisks' on the Pontefract Road (& the 'Quaker' school)

Sadly, we can't compare with Leeds for fantastic buildings, in particular its Victorian splendours

On a humourous note, there used to be a slightly curious combination of businesses down in the Crystal Springs buildings down at Chantry Bridge
    They must be deep bath-tubs!

Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Welcome and good luck.
    I used to watch Featherstone Rovers, remember them winning the league at Wembley in 1967.
    Former King's School boy at Pontefract.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Welcome and good luck.
    I used to watch Featherstone Rovers, remember them winning the league at Wembley in 1967.
    Former King's School boy at Pontefract.
    Hi, I know where their field is, but I'm definately not a lover of f**tball, or rugby

I take it your screen-name implies your place of origin/previous abode?

I pass through there a lot on my way out on one of my regular ride-routes, & by this gorgeous bridge that you should know too Click on pics to open/enlarge

The 'Fox' is now an Indonesian (or Chinese) restaraunt

Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 10-03-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Yes, I'm from Brotherton. The bridge at Ferrybridge used to carry all the A1 traffic when I was young. It was a bugger to cross. I worked in the Fox as a teenager, when it was still a hotel popular with people on the way to races at Wetherby, York and Pontefract.
    The village is full of my family as my dad was one of fourteen.

Yes, I'm from Brotherton. The bridge at Ferrybridge used to carry all the A1 traffic when I was young
    http://www.twixtaireandcalder.org.uk/

Here's a memory for you then

I can't remember that, but I do wonder what the concrete boxes are on top of the bridge now?

Looks about 1960 taken from the top of Ferrybridge A power station. My dad used to work at Pollard Bearings in the centre of the photo. My granny was working at Ferrybridge C in 1967 when the 3 brand new cooling towers fell down in a gale, we heard the noise at school in Brotherton.
    The Swan Inn and glassworks used to stand on the left bank behind the bridge.
    The concrete blocks are inspection chambers for a pipeline over the bridge.

Looks about 1960 taken from the top of Ferrybridge A power station.
    The concrete blocks are inspection chambers for a pipeline over the bridge.

Thanks for that, & I guess it did bring back memories then

I keep looking to the history of the area, as the 'Great North Road' (as was) is an interest of mine

I saw a nice house last year for sale, not too far away from FerryBridge, on one of my rides, that would have been superb for us (needed some renovation though - but it was big enough to complete 'piece-meal)
    It was over in Birkin, & I think it as called 'The Grange', quite near the Church

Here's another one of probable interest for you then 'B L'

http://www.knottingley.org/

I don't know your age, or your dads (if he's still with us), but what about these pics of a Pollards Bearings outing?

http://www.knottingley.org/gallery/c...candid_025.htm

http://www.knottingley.org/gallery/c...candid_026.htm

I'm 52. My dad died in 2001. Those Pollard's outings look like something out of Carry on Camping. Late 50s at a guess.
    There's a fine Norman window in Birkin church.
    Very flat out there, post glacial lake bed. I used to cycle across to the Wolds in the mid 70s, till somebody nicked my bike and I took up running in 1978.