Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Trigs

15 Trigs

15 Trigs

I’ve had a few forumites asking about the 15 Trigs so I’ve put together a little info.

Following the 1984 KIMM which was held in the Dark Peak a few DP’ers decided to link together all the trig points on the Harvey’s race map.

The 15 trigs points of the Dark Peak are (with their 6 figure grid references all on ordnance survey sheet SK):-

The start and finish is the Sportsman Pub at Lodge Moor, Sheffield. Gd.ref. 282862

ROD MOOR : 263884
    EMLIN: 240934
    BACK TOR : 198910
    MARGERY HILL : 189957
    OUTER EDGE: 177970
    ALPORT: 129933
    SHELF MOOR: 089948
    COCK HILL: 059962
    HARRY HUT: 045908
    KINDER WEST: 077894
    KINDER LOW: 079871
    BROWN KNOLL: 084851
    BLACKDEN: 129878
    WIN HILL: 187851
    HIGH NEB: 228853

The distance is approx 55 miles depending on route choice and you are allowed 15 hours to cover the route. The current record is I’m told held by one Andy Harmer of Dark Peak in 10.05. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

The Route

This is a point to point challenge; For the most part the route is obvious.

From the Sportsman take the track through the woods and head towards Wyming Brook until you can Cross the Snake Pass. Take track up pass Crawshaw Lodge to Rod Moor Trig. Get on to the track that leads to Platts farm, turn left at road and follow until a short trespass over Gibraltar rocks, across road to Blindside Lane and straight through the woods to the reservoir, go round this and up to Mortimer Road and then to Emlin (Stick to the Grouse Butts). Best route to Cartledge, leave pack behind for quick detour to Back Tor and return. Follow trod just North of Cartledge Brook to MH then OE, if short of water drop to Lord Edward Howard’s spring. Best route to Alport trig is via Ditch Clough. Up to Shelf Moor and onto Cock Hill, Drop down and traverse Shire Hill Anti-Clockwise to old Glossop and fill up with food or a beer in the pub! You are now on your way home.
    Head up the road past the golf course then pick your route, either quickly up Worm Stones path or cut up earlier via the spring at the Shooting Cabin to Harry Hut. Continue up to Kinder West and on to Kinder Low, Next route choice is at Brown Knoll, if you are Lloyd then go direct to Edale and up RR or more correctly follow the Skyline route until the detour to Blackden, If the weather is clear look north to the mornings journey, you should be able to pick out everything from Back Tor to Shelf Stones, Continue to Crookstone where there is another spring and on to Winn Hill. Only one to go, You could be a purist and go direct but most head up New Road until the cattle grid and then head direct to High Neb. From here return to the Sportsman via Stanage Pole going south around the Redmires Res’s and back for a well deserved pint.

Our 15 Trigs

It started as it always seems to with a beer in the pub; I was asking questions about this long dark Peak route…
    With a 5.00am start from the Sportsman we set off in the dark using head torches, it was cool and clear with heavy dew but not cold. We’d had plenty of advice on where we could pick up time and soon arrived at Emlin following a glorious sunrise. I was dreading the next bit 2 miles of heather bashing, Some how we picked a good line to Cartledge Stones where we dumped our packs as we looked towards Back Tor where hundreds of new paving stones had been flown in, A quick trip to BT and were back at our packs for a quick breakfast, It was 7.30 and I was already down to a vest as we set off for Margery Hill where we met up with a few other Club runners. A brief stop and a drink and we were on our way. At Outer edge having been spared by the Bogmonster we were 20 minutes up on Schedule.
    We dropped down Broad Head Clough just missing the Icelandic Airways Wreck to Slippery Stones and had a quick cool down in the stream before pushing on along the track to West End, Running along the edge of the remote Alport Dale was a delight, We hadn't see any one until the Swamp just before Shelf Stones At this point we were on new ground and it was easy to see how you could miss Cock Hill in the mist by which time the sun was well and truly out and we had lost the 20 minute advantage. The heat was oppressive as we crossed the Snake in Old Glossop and the turn around mark, The pub seemed to be mocking us as we reluctantly set off up the hot road, We knew we were going to need lots of water so we headed for the Harry Hut Spring, It was good to know we were on our way back at last. By the time we hit the first of the Kinder Trigs we had been going around 9.00 hours and had dropped 30 minutes behind our planned schedule. One of our party was going strong and was dragging us along otherwise we would have dropped much more, approaching Brown Knoll such a contrast from the Skyline(was it really only four weeks earlier) it was dry and dusty. Kinder was dryer than I can ever remember at this time of year with no water at all at the Down fall. We’d never seen so many people on Kinder in their Sunday best; it must have added a couple of miles on the route just to go round them all. We seen so many secluded beautiful spots it was nice to know Edale had managed to herd all the tourists together at this one spot.
    All the Skyline recceing helped keep us going but by Blackden we were starting to run out of water and all we could do was to drink in the view to the North and the mornings Trigs. To the east we could see Winn Hill and our last trig High Neb which seemed an impossible distance away. By Crookstone I had run out of water and was really struggling with the heat, we couldn't find the spring and had no time to waste looking so we had to continue to Win hill. It didn't look like we were going to make it but one of our party who was still going strong set off to try and get inside the 15 hours. We'd left 5 Litres of water at a cache by Yorkshire bridge which was heaven, We drank it all ate some food and set off for High Neb with renewed vigour. When we topped out on the last trig the sun was sinking in a stunning pink hazy sky.
    We left HN needing to be back in less than an hour so we part walked/ran to Stanage pole where we thought we could just do it. Don't ask me how but we ran virtually all the way back, as we crossed the fields by the Sportsman Allan(one of the original instigators) was there to see us in in 15 hours. His son had come in just 15 minutes a head of us. Thanks to Al for the inspiration and the pint he bought us it was much needed.

Master and MR

Re: 15 Trigs

cheers Ian
    its a biggie is that

I was planning to include this on the www.gofar.org.uk website eventually! The idea is to create a "one-stop-shop" for route information on all routes of this nature and create a resource fo use by FRA members etc. Hopefully that will encourage more participation in ventures like this. Perhaps I can contact you later in the year when I look at again. Full credit/history will be given to the clubs/individuals involved so there is no intention to hijack the routes - just make information more accessible.

If anyone has other routes they would like to share just drop me a line via the contact page on the gofar website and I will get in touch.

Quote: Long distance running is all in the mind - it is just a mental problem!

That sounds like an epic day out, Ian. Well done to all of you.

I know it's a bit off route, but for future reference if you're desperate for water when near the Downfall, there was plenty flowing on Saturday at SK073884. You'll know the spot - it's where the Kinder Dozen crosses the River Kinder.

Ian

Do you have the original 1984 KIMM map? I would be interested in getting hold of a copy of this, if you have......

Cheers
    S1

Quote Originally Posted by Strider1 View Post
    Ian

Do you have the original 1984 KIMM map? I would be interested in getting hold of a copy of this, if you have......

Cheers
    S1
    Sorry S1
    I've not got one, An older member of your club may have one.
    I have seen one but these are treasured possessions. I used an OS dark Peak Map for my round.
    For the record Andy Harmer did it in 10.04 Superb effort.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Sorry S1
    I've not got one, An older member of your club may have one.
    I have seen one but these are treasured possessions. I used an OS dark Peak Map for my round.
    For the record Andy Harmer did it in 10.04 Superb effort.
    No problem - thought it may be a long shot. Don't know if any of our guys go back that far, but will ask around. I'm mainly interested in seeing where they stuck the CPs on the various courses....

S1

Ian,

Was thinking of doing the 15 trigs next year and was hoping you still had your schedule (or someone elses) that you ran to? I will be doing a few recces and would like to know the pace I should be setting?

Be much appreciated if you could dig it out or let me know any further info on the round?

Wink Re: 15 Trigs

Quote Originally Posted by Strider1 View Post
    Ian

Cheers
    S1
    I have an original copy, this was my 1st mountain marathon, back in the good old days

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Ian,

Was thinking of doing the 15 trigs next year and was hoping you still had your schedule (or someone elses) that you ran to? I will be doing a few recces and would like to know the pace I should be setting?

Be much appreciated if you could dig it out or let me know any further info on the round?
    AJF

Will post it tommorrow. It'll take a bit of finding.
    Ian