Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and have never entered a fell run proper. I am completing the TDS later this year (didn't manage to get a place in the UTMB ballot) and want to get some good climbs in my legs before the race.

I have browsed the race calendar and some of the races that would fit my schedule are:
    Teenager with altitude
    Ennerdale horseshoe
    Wasdale

Problem is I live 6+ hours drive away!

Now for the questions:
    What is the likelihood of having others traveling up from London/S.E to car share?
    Do you know of any other good hilly/fell/mountain races that might be a bit closer to home for me?
    Kit wise, I have never run with poles but know that a lot of people run with them in them in the UTMB. Should I try and get some and get used to them or crack on as I would normally?

I wait with baited breath...

Re: Where to start?

Just seen the UTMB kit advice posts....

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Joe

ZootHornRollo on here is looking at doing a Bob Graham Round this summer and lives in London

My geography's not great. Are the Brecon Beacons nearer you than Lakes?

Some discussion of poles on various UTMB threads. A search should help
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Jo, the races you mention are very tough ones - two of the toughest races in the calendar for sure.

You would have to be very fit and have some good mountain experience to kick off with those.

I live in london and get up to the Lakes and Peaks for races on a regular basis.

I just looked at the climb over the course and saw that it still doesn't quite match up with the climb of the TDS so though they would be good to get me ready.
    I am relatively fit, completed the Jungle Marathon in October last year, but don't have that much (or any) experience of fell or mountain runs. I train in Richmond park which has a few hills....though you guys may be more inclined to call them humps.

Where would be a better place to start? I am planning to complete the Pembrokeshire Coastal marathon in March, Marlborough downs challenge in May and Classic Quarter ultra in June.

I would be very interested in coming up to some races in the peaks and lakes.

If you're ever in the Lakes feel free to tagg on to an Ambleside AC club run - that should be a good way to get started and to get a feel for the fells.

The distances and climbs look different on paper than they do on the ground , and the fell races you mention aren't flagged or supported, so navigation and a bit of experience on what kit to wear and take can be useful.

You also need to be able to demonstrate some fell-running experience for some or all of the races you've mentioned.

Yea I certainly need flagged/marked races to get me started. I have very basic navigation skills at the moment, but would be interested in trying a few races that would help me to improve them gradually.

Joe, I'm no expert at all and I don't know much about this TDS thing but if it's comparable to the UTMB then I'm guessing it's a mountain ultra run over what, 20-odd hours or something?

It's a very big ask is that and needs a lot of endurance and leg-muscle conditioning so I'd plan your training appropriately: long days spent getting as much climbing in as possible.

If you haven't done much hill or mountain running, you'll find the gradients and quantity of ascent and the terrain on medium-to-big fell races a bit of a shock I think. And races like Ennerdale and Wasdale throw up their ow challenges in terms of weather and navigation. They'll also be run at a much faster pace than your ultra.

While obviously a lot of fellrunners do mountain ultras I don't know if fellracing is necessarily your best prep? But as I say, I'm no expert.

Good luck though!

LDWA Challenge Events might be a good alternative to fell races for you at this point - good distances, no entry requirements, some navigational sense needed and some can be pretty hilly (and you're allowed to run them btw!)

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_eve...=N&list_type=F

By Lake, Ridge and Wainwright on April 11th might be a good one...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
    Yea I certainly need flagged/marked races to get me started. I have very basic navigation skills at the moment, but would be interested in trying a few races that would help me to improve them gradually.
    I guess depending where in London you live the peak must only be 2-3 hours away.