Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner holmfirth/greenfield

Beginner holmfirth/greenfield

Hi does anyone know of any routes that would suit a beginner in the holmfirth/greenfield area?
    Currently do my off road running in the woods at hade edge on the border of the peak. After spending the last week injured and reading feet in the clouds i want to move from the trails of the woods and get out on the tops.
    I'm tempted to just go out and explore around holme moss and dovestones but was wondering if there is anything specific that would be suited to a beginner.
    Ta

Master

Re: Beginner holmfirth/greenfi

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Hi does anyone know of any routes that would suit a beginner in the holmfirth/greenfield area?
    Currently do my off road running in the woods at hade edge on the border of the peak. After spending the last week injured and reading feet in the clouds i want to move from the trails of the woods and get out on the tops.
    I'm tempted to just go out and explore around holme moss and dovestones but was wondering if there is anything specific that would be suited to a beginner.
    Ta
    Eavesy i live in Mossley...if you fancy a run on saturday round the edges (dovestones) put a message here
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Hi Tom
    Thanks for the offer, but can't do anything over the weekend as i already have plans. Though will take you up on it in the future.
    Where would you recommend at dovestones?

Master

Hi Tom
    Thanks for the offer, but can't do anything over the weekend as i already have plans. Though will take you up on it in the future.
    Where would you recommend at dovestones?
    Well it depends....i like doing the edges.
    So park at Tanners or Dovestones doesnt matter. Up Wimberry (quite steep) then along the edge to Chew Reservoir, Along form there either to Foxstones and drop off steeply or along to Ashway and then down the steady descent that leads to where the two reservoirs meet.
    Can do tomorrow as well if thats any good???

Hi eavesy. I would be more than happy to show you a number of routes around Black Hill, Crowden, Wessenden and down to Dovestones. There are many route variations from the Greenfield Road butty wagon which should keep you busy for a while to come. You can find a nice Dovestones starter route here:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/24879507

Can't do that either sorry, just got to much on at the minute. I'll be lucky if i make it to the woods for a quick trail run at the minute, plus i think my knackered ankle needs a bit more rest before heading up there. Thanks anyway, its good to see just how friendly and helpful people are on this forum

Master

Rodders???? Fancy a run tomorrow or saturday

Master

Can't do that either sorry, just got to much on at the minute. I'll be lucky if i make it to the woods for a quick trail run at the minute, plus i think my knackered ankle needs a bit more rest before heading up there. Thanks anyway, its good to see just how friendly and helpful people are on this forum
    Weekends and School Holidays are the best time to grab me for a run or in the summer....thursdays any time after 4ish.

Having said that Saddleworth Runners are putting on a night run from the Waggon Inn, Uppermill next tuesday.....il be going, headtorch, full bodycover and fell/trail shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    Hi eavesy. I would be more than happy to show you a number of routes around Black Hill, Crowden, Wessenden and down to Dovestones. There are many route variations from the Greenfield Road butty wagon which should keep you busy for a while to come. You can find a nice Dovestones starter route here:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/24879507
    Hi Rodders

Thanks for the route, that was pretty much where is was thinking of going if i just went out to explore. I'll take you and Tom up on the offer of a run when my ankle is in a better state and i have more time on my hands.

Thanks for being so helpful!

Rodders???? Fancy a run tomorrow or saturday
    Hey up. I'm out at Leek tomorrow, but Sat is a poss. Do you fancy a cheeky trott up Black hill & down to Crowden little brook, up to the bottom of Laddow and Dunn Hill, Black Hill & Down to Wessenden Head? I can pick you up. Be warned I am old & crippled.