Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ron Collier

Ron Collier

Just saw in the local paper, for those of you who know your B17's from your B29's that Ron Collier, the author of The Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks books has died.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Master and MR

Re: Ron Collier

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Just saw in the local paper, for those of you who know your B17's from your B29's that Ron Collier, the author of The Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks books has died.
    Thats sad news
    The B29 superfortress was an amazing aircraft but it was involved in the most terrible of things

4486292 or Enola Gay changed forever the world in which we lived.
    Oh and Grouse, the first B29s had crap engines thats why they kept crashing mate

Have you found a link to the article?

No but have the article here and I will quote in full, because I haven't got anything better to do ...

A military historian who wrote books on the war planes which crashed on the Derbyshire moorland has died.
    Ron Collier, 74, from Glosssop, was a leading authority on the aircraft which plunged from the skies over the Peak District and Longdendale.
    The first of his three books 'Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks' was first published in the 1970s and has been a best seller ever since.
    Mr Collier spent years combing the wrecks of aircraft which crashed on the hills around Glossop during the second world war.
    He painstakingly researched their history, finding out where they were going to and from, plus the names of the crew and the details of the missions the aircraft had flown.
    Most of the stories were acccompanied by photographers of the planes and the men who flew them.
    He took part in television features on the wrecks, particularly a programme about the American Super Fortress which crashed on Higher Shelf Stones more than 60 years ago, killing the entire crew. Mr Collier, who leaves a family, was also a huge supporter of Glossop Mountain Rescue Team.
    It was his family's wish that donations at his recent funeral went to the team funds.

Master and MR

were can you get hold of his work

My copy of Volume 2 (I think) of Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks is out on loan otherwise you couls have had it. It's the one with the B 29 , the Lancaster on James Thorn the Botha and Defiant on Bleaklow. Wish I hadn'rt lent it out now. I think Glossop library have one of the volumes not sure which one. Think I've seen them in Bay Tree Books in Glossop.

Master and MR

My copy of Volume 2 (I think) of Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks is out on loan otherwise you couls have had it. It's the one with the B 29 , the Lancaster on James Thorn the Botha and Defiant on Bleaklow. Wish I hadn'rt lent it out now. I think Glossop library have one of the volumes not sure which one. Think I've seen them in Bay Tree Books in Glossop.

oh
    cant help you on the lending front, tough one , ive stopped lending my cycling books out.
    riight i will try bay tree books. Is that near Costa Coffee.
    Oh and when are they taking that crane down thats been stood in Glossop for ages.

Go from Costa Coffee down the street heading west, over the cross roads and its on th esam side before you get to the argos and brantano bit. They've got them at Amazon too, just had a look.

Master and MR

Go from Costa Coffee down the street heading west, over the cross roads and its on th esam side before you get to the argos and brantano bit. They've got them at Amazon too, just had a look.
    ta x
    god you know all the shops names, oh

and i hope bay city roller books is open more hours than magic mountain

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    were can you get hold of his work
    I think a combined volume came out a year or two. Certainly they are all available. If you go to the DP site and click on Links there is a site listed with most of the wrecks on and photos/history.

Happy to take people out to them. You can get about 6 wrecks in one run from Crowden (18 miles), also 3-4 south of Chew valley from big layby near Tintwistle or even From Glossop(shelf moor route).

The one I'd like to get to but havent yet is the Beaver by Bramah Edge (Torside)

In the old YH at Crowden they used to have an os map with all the wreck shown. this was a very early list and many of the GRefs were way out. It also listed many more wrecks than were in the books