Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running to the top?

Running to the top?

Does anyone here run all the way to the top of the hills, if so how?

I find that on shortish hills that I know (example; the peaks of the Malverns - nothing over say 200m+ of climb) I can get to the top. Something like Pen-Y-Fan for example... No chance. Snowdon... You're having a laugh...

What's your PB's for hills, specifically how far can you "run" before you are forced in to a pathetic slobbering crawl for your life. Post your best climbing endeavours here, spread the knowledge...

Tell us how its done.

Re: Running to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    Does anyone here run all the way to the top of the hills, if so how?

I find that on shortish hills that I know (example; the peaks of the Malverns - nothing over say 200m+ of climb) I can get to the top. Something like Pen-Y-Fan for example... No chance. Snowdon... You're having a laugh...

What's your PB's for hills, specifically how far can you "run" before you are forced in to a pathetic slobbering crawl for your life. Post your best climbing endeavours here, spread the knowledge...

Tell us how its done.
    well the obvious answer is yes and no, Sorry thats not much help.

It depends on how long/steep the hill is.

The trick is to pace your self. Find big a hill a run very slow, well within yourself and get a rythm then try to maintian that pace to the top, If at 1/2 way it's going well may be pick up the pace. Being able to take pain helps.

I can run up Penygwent no problems and Lose hill, winn hill, Kinder. Not tried Snowdon yet but at the right pace up the tourist track....?

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    well the obvious answer is yes and no, Sorry thats not much help.

It depends on how long/steep the hill is.

The trick is to pace your self. Find big a hill a run very slow, well within yourself and get a rythm then try to maintian that pace to the top, If at 1/2 way it's going well may be pick up the pace. Being able to take pain helps.

I can run up Penygwent no problems and Lose hill, winn hill, Kinder. Not tried Snowdon yet but at the right pace up the tourist track....?
    Kinder up William clough beat me last week. Kinder up Jacob's Ladder or via Edale Cross no problem.

Not done Snowdon either but I'd be disappointed if I couldn't do the tourist path without stopping

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Not tried Snowdon yet but at the right pace up the tourist track....?
    Snowdon up the pig track is doddlesville. I've almost run to the top of Snowdon up the Watkin Path but it becomes extremely difficult to run when it cuts diagonally across the steep and slatey side nearer the top, unless of course you can master running on all fours . I'd say most mountains have a runable-ish route to the top - Ben Nevis has so long as you stick to the zig zags, Scafell Pike has as long as you count boulder hopping near the top as running and all of the 3 peaks in Yorkshire have.

Fell races though are a totally different kettle of fish - I'd give five whole pounds sterling to anybody that could run all the way up the fell race route of Robinson in the Anniversary Waltz (2,000 feet straight up)

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Snowdon up the pig track is doddlesville. I've almost run to the top of Snowdon up the Watkin Path but it becomes extremely difficult to run when it cuts diagonally across the steep and slatey side nearer the top, unless of course you can master running on all fours . I'd say most mountains have a runable-ish route to the top - Ben Nevis has so long as you stick to the zig zags, Scafell Pike has as long as you count boulder hopping near the top as running and all of the 3 peaks in Yorkshire have.

Fell races though are a totally different kettle of fish - I'd give five whole pounds sterling to anybody that could run all the way up the fell race route of Robinson in the Anniversary Waltz (2,000 feet straight up)
    Not familiar with that race but that doesn't matter. I'm off to start training immediately.

Direct route up Kirk Fell from Wasdale Head is one I'm yet to crack... guess it's all about gearing down to tiny steps and I find that far easier than hands on legs and head down striding..... wonder if that's because I do a lot of biking and small pitter patter steps are quite similar to turning the pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Direct route up Kirk Fell from Wasdale Head is one I'm yet to crack... guess it's all about gearing down to tiny steps and I find that far easier than hands on legs and head down striding..... wonder if that's because I do a lot of biking and small pitter patter steps are quite similar to turning the pedals.
    You'll be crawling through the scree no doubt, the gradient doesn't let up and you need the help of your hands to stop yourself sliding back down. I can't see anyone achieving a run all the way up under race conditions, if you went for little running steps the walkers would pass you your steps would be that small.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

A very satisfying run is to the summit of High Street from Askham near Penrith - although its a long way its spread out in to a series of nicely manageable climbs with flat sections and a few descents giving you opportunities to recover on the way, so you can keep a steady pace all the way to the top. The bad news is that this means running back to Askham afterwards is actually quite hard. Its tempting to drop to Patterdale for a brew and the bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Will.Race View Post
    Not familiar with that race but that doesn't matter. I'm off to start training immediately.
    If you can run all the way from the start field to the summit of robinson...I'll pay for inov-8 to give you a pair of x-talons every race you ever take part in!
    I pain that climb gives you (I was ahead of daz h so I was giving it alot!!) is enough to give you nightmares.

Ive run to the summit of pendle during this years half tour - which I was quite proud of, but I think in a non-racing trot, plenty of people could run to the summit without walking.

Does anyone know if anyone can/has run up to the summit of Great Gable from the Styhead side? It got me thinking last year at the Borrowdale.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step