Thread: Bike training - which bike?

Bike training - which bike?

Apologies if this is the wrong section but I vaguely remember from one of the old forums discussions on the best bike for training on.

Basically since moving down south I am lacking in big hills to run up so I got myself a turbo trainer which is fine for the winter. I use the same bike I commute on which is a tatty old 'hybrid' type thing.

I have been thinking about getting a new bike for long training rides but am not sure what type of bike would be best. The routes I would take will be about 2 thirds on road, the other off but they would mainly be farm tracks etc. I still would like the option of maybe an epic 5-6hr ride.

My choice boils down to either a cyclocross bike or a hybrid but not being a bike nut I am not sure of the (dis)advantages of each. Would a hybrid just be like a cross bike without the 'drop' bars and high gears, and possibly without the expense? What do the people on here use?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Bike training - which bike

Get a cross bike. If you want to do long road rides you can put road tyres and go the distance. A hybrid will not do that with comfort. If you don't like the gears get a smaller block for the back but keep the compact ( 36/50 ) chainset on the front. I commute and do long rides on a cross bike all winter and it's great for going off road. I've used the same bike for 5/6 hour rides in snowdonia and the 3 peaks cyclo-cross race.You could get one for £500. Try paul Milnes in bradford

Cross bike - they are superb!

There is a kona jake the snake cross bike for sale in this weeks cycling weekly. This is a great bike for the price. they usually have bottle bosses and mudguard eyes. It has only done 5 miles, at 450 quid its a bargain. Its a 56cm, I am 5 ft 6 and just about fit a 55 so this should do if you are 5 ft 8 to 5 10. 01772 811107

Thanks for that. Preston's a bit far for me to pick it up though.

Had a look round a few shops this weekend and I was surprised how few (here in Hertfordshire anyway) stock cyclocross bikes.