Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FRA World Cup Squad

FRA World Cup Squad

OK everyone - let's see what the forum's world cup squad would look like. We'll go for a squad of 22.
    A poll will be had for the leading players in each position with the top ones being the starting 11 and the next tier making up the 22.

I will set up a poll on each position every few days over the coming weeks until we establish "our team" and we can see how it stacks up against Capello's.

If anyone has any unusual shouts then post them up on here and with some appropriate backing I will include them in the poll.

I'll start with Goalkeeper as I think the options are pretty clear, and it will give you lot chance to put suggestions forward for other positions.

I'll set the polls up seperately and link them in to this thread.

Re: FRA World Cup Squad

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=10675

So the goalkeeper poll is up and running.

I must admit to being torn. I've always liked Kirkland and other than injury issues I think he would have been our top goallie over the last few years.

He was a close 2nd.

But Joe Hart is my choice. I've seen him a few times this year and he's been top drawer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=10675

So the goalkeeper poll is up and running.

I must admit to being torn. I've always liked Kirkland and other than injury issues I think he would have been our top goallie over the last few years.

He was a close 2nd.

But Joe Hart is my choice. I've seen him a few times this year and he's been top drawer for me.
    Just remind me this is a fellrunning forum ok I'll let you put some footy on

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...t=10675&page=3

The Goalkeeper slot seems to be heading Joe Hart's way, David James as backup with no clear 3rd place at the moment. The poll will stay open for a few days yet.

I have just started the Central Defender's poll. AS there are 4 to go, we should have 4 options to vote for, and see how it pans out.

My choices would be Ferdinand, Lescott, Upson, King with Ferdinand and King to start.
    I would drop Terry from the squad. He seems clearly to be making mistakes that indicate that the personal issues are affecting his game.

It may also be the case that he would cause distraction to the squad and possibly create factions within the squad.

Take Terry out of the equation and we are struggling a bit. Ferdinand has looked better, as has Lescott and Upson. King is a sicknote.
    However, I feel that they will be the best options, are mobile, and that they are also flexible - 2 can play at Left Back.
    They have also missed part of the season so have time to hit some form and will be fresher than most at the time of the World Cup.
    We may also have a place at RB for Wes Brown later, which may give more cover.

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=10801

Full Back is up now.

I've gone for Johnson and Brown on the Right and Cole and Konchesky on the Left.

Of course the assumption is that Cole is fit.

Bridge is there as an option, but I wouldn't anyway. I've opted for Konchesky as he's had a good season and always been there or there abouts.
    He's also related to Terry - who it looks like we have selected - so they would fit well playing alongside each other.

I think when we come to the wide midfielders we also have the old wing back option with the likes of Wright-Phillips, Milner and Barry as possibilities to drop back as full-backs.

It looks like the squad is so far
    Hart, James, Robinson (tied) as the goallies.
    Terry, Ferdinand, Lescott, Upson at the centre of defence.

WP, whilst it's extremely unlikely he'll make the World Cup squad, Owen Hargreaves makes his return for Utd reserves v City reserves at Moss Lane (Altrincham) this Thursday.

If he comes through unscathed and gets a few games under his belt, he could be an outside chance for the Right Midfield / Right back role (or even defensive mid).

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    WP, whilst it's extremely unlikely he'll make the World Cup squad, Owen Hargreaves makes his return for Utd reserves v City reserves at Moss Lane (Altrincham) this Thursday.

If he comes through unscathed and gets a few games under his belt, he could be an outside chance for the Right Midfield / Right back role (or even defensive mid).
    I will be including Owen Hargreaves in the Midfield section.

I think that's part of the problem we have as a squad. We have quite a few flexible utility players that are handy to have, but are not really 100% in any particular position.

If you look at Hart, Johnson, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Rooney, Crouch

as a potential starting line up - with possible "impact players" like Lennon, Wright-Phillips, Defoe, Joe Cole on the bench, then I think we have around 15 players there that are very promising.

It's when you look at the remaining cover that you see it becomes less inspring.

But in truth that's the case with every nation when you get to the bottom 3rd of their squad.

Wouldn't rule Beckham out though!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post

I bet he doesn't even start.

Squad to date then is

Hart, James, Robinson

Terry, Ferdinand, Lescott, Upson

Johnson, Richard, A Cole, Baines

So now to the right hand side of Midfield - pick 2 from those on the link

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=10869