Thread: Isle of Wight Series

Question Isle of Wight Series

I am new to Fell running, but not new to the Fells (lots of walking/backpacking and LDWA events). I am based in London and have entered this years IOW Fell Series in September. Has anyone done the series and got any hints about the routes, difficulty and best shoes to wear. Hoping to get north as well in the summer, if the nippers allow.
    I rely upon my luck!

Re: Isle of Wight Series

The first race in the IOW series, St Boniface (3 miles) is a short but very steep out and back race. A good proportion is on tarmac because you start on the sea front at Ventnor, and run up and down through the steep streets of the town.

The second race, the Ventnor horseshoe (7 miles) has a steep start (much the same as St Boniface) but then loops round the downs on bridleways and old railway tracks. In character it's very much like a typical race in the White Peak, such as Peak Forest, or perhaps comparable to the North Downs.

The third race, the 13 mile Wroxall Round race is really a long cross-country or trail race, and can be a bit difficult to navigate if you get isolated, it's a mixture of coast, woods, trail and downs.

I've done the whole series once, in 1997, but I ran in the Ventnor Horseshoe race last year. I can say that all three races are an excellent blend, and can make for a memorable weekend on the island. You'll probably get away with trail shoes, unless it's very wet and muddy. Having said that, every time I go to the island the sun always seems to shine, and there was a September heatwave last year when I did the Ventnor Horsehoe.

I've entered the series again for this year - see you there!

Haven't done any of these races before but thinking of giving them a go this year. But I might only be able to make the Saturday races at the moment. And if I'm honest I'm not sure I could manage all three but we will see.

I was in Ventnor back in February and did some running around the area including running up St Boniface and around the various downs which was very enjoyable.

Do the events fill up fast as I wasn't going to enter until later in the year?

Phil N

The event has entry on the day, so there is no need to pre-enter. The exception to this is for those wishing to be part of the SEAA Fell Championship which does require pre-entry and the usual born in/resident rules.

More details are on the Ryde Harriers website.

http://www.rydeharriers.co.uk/

Cheers
    I rely upon my luck!

Werdna

Your advice was most useful. I am really looking forward to racing 3 times in two days and getting the effort right to do as well as I can in all three.

Cheers
    I rely upon my luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Routemaster View Post
    Werdna

Your advice was most useful. I am really looking forward to racing 3 times in two days and getting the effort right to do as well as I can in all three.

Cheers
    Hi Routemaster,

I'm glad that the information was of use to you. Also interestingly, some of my buddies in Pennine fellrunners reminded me yesterday at Paddy's Pole that back in 1995, Pennine had a club trip down to the IoW to do the September fell race series. A most entertaining account of their trip called "Pennine go the Seaside, a not unbiased report on the IoW Fellrunning Championship 1995" appeared in the February 1996 Fellrunner magazine. I have extracted this from the Swilnik archives, and will be happy to send you a photocopy of the article if you would like to PM me a postal address.

Regards,
    Werdna.