Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tranter Round

Re: Tranter Round

I quite fancy this as well if only to take the two mountains I haven't done in this area Binnein Beag and Stob Ban, It would be an interesting walk in and out but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I asked FullMoonAddict about this and he reckons that on a clockwise round: going Binnein Beag, Sgurr Eilde Mor then Binnein Mor is the way to do it.
    I'd go this way, I went up Sgurr Eilde Mor first on a winter attempt last year and I wouldn't do it again. Very rough ground
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Alan, from Sg Eilde Mor the optimum route to Binneinn Mor would go between the lochans, follow the path west and climb to the ridge leading to the 1062 top. From memory, a direct route would either lose height or would involve some pretty rough contouring.

Yiannis
    Cheers Yiannis, interesting.
    It would make Binein Mor an out and back, I suppose it adds to the character of the round. The direct line would looe a lot more height and, from memory a contour using Geat leacann probably would be rough. So I will (hopefully) recce your route it seems to be the correct choice.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I quite fancy this as well if only to take the two mountains I haven't done in this area Binnein Beag and Stob Ban, It would be an interesting walk in and out but well worth it.
    you can come and do them in May if you like

Quote Originally Posted by IanFitz View Post
    you can come and do them in May if you like
    might do the full walk with you yet.....

Friday 29th July, Nicky Spinks completed the Tranter Round in 15Hr 10mins taking 47minutes off the Ladies record. Nicky set off from Glen Nevis Youth Hostel at 06:10 on a anticlockwise round. Other completions that day were Olly Stephenson (Carnethy) around 16hrs, Simon Rippon (Penistone) ~ 18hr 30min, Simon Cox and Andrea Stimpson ~ 21hr.
    I managed the Mamores then returned via Glen Nevis.
    Conditions slightly too warm in places but terrific views all round

Quote Originally Posted by Running Man View Post
    Friday 29th July, Nicky Spinks completed the Tranter Round in 15Hr 10mins taking 47minutes off the Ladies record. Nicky set off from Glen Nevis Youth Hostel at 06:10 on a anticlockwise round. Other completions that day were Olly Stephenson (Carnethy) around 16hrs, Simon Rippon (Penistone) ~ 18hr 30min, Simon Cox and Andrea Stimpson ~ 21hr.
    I managed the Mamores then returned via Glen Nevis.
    Conditions slightly too warm in places but terrific views all round
    Ian, and then there was the Forest of Fanghorn! With the advanced assault course layed on by the forestry workers on the lower slopes of the Mullach - this would have been more entertaining after 6AM in the morning!

Only if I could have kept my sprint to the top of Biddein Beag (?) going for longer and it could have been another sub 20 round!

Awesome day out with a fantastic team.

Cheers,

Yes, it was a top day out full of good humour, whoooping and homage to the Ultra distance god at most summits!!
    Run and become...

Just started replying to a whole lot here before realising it was an old thread with a couple of new posts at the end! So leaving up what I'd already written (would be interested to know if anyone's tried the schedule subsequently added to the page Bill links to and whether it scales as suggested) and adding my own congrats to Nicky for her new record...

Quote Originally Posted by burt View Post
    hoping the answer is about 16 or 17 hours
    Can't speak for the Bob Graham, but Ramsay-equivalent pace should be sub-16 (probably closer to 15)...

a more direct ascent from Achriabhach via Carn Dearg south?
    Have done it in descent, but wouldn't recommend that (heading for the hostel next time)!

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    There is a write up and times for a Tranters here
    Looks familiar, Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    At RR pace it would take about 17 hour’s ish. (Assuming that you do it in daylight hours)
    Know you've also done the Ramsay, but have to say you'd never get round it at 17-hour Tranter pace!

Quote Originally Posted by burt View Post
    Which is best (going clockwise):-
    Binnein Beag then Sgurr Eilde Mor or Sgurr Eilde Mor than Binnein Beag (and if the latter which is the best way from Stob Ban?
    When I did my (anti-clockwise) Tranter, Charlie Ramsay took me to task for deviating from Tranter's order by doing Binnein Beag last (horrible descent!) on my way to the Grey Corries. So you could argue that Sgurr Eilde Mor should be the 'link' peak, although whether it really matters when you're reversing the direction and maybe starting/finishing at the hostel (as I'd do now) is your call.

Dont have any details but I do know that Spyke has bagged the record for the Tranter round. 12 hours 17 mins. excellent stuff